Sign in to follow this  
thetino

Intermittant sunroof switch fault

Hi,

just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

The sunroof will always tilt open, but most of the tiime will then not close, or wont slide(it does sometimes, so that rules out the runners).

The switch lights up when it does work. Tried wiggling wires, but this seems to make no difference.

Any ideas?

Does the sunroof motor have some sort of sensor?

The roof works sometimes and sometimes not. There doesn't seem to be a pattern, just randomly, the switches light up, and when they do, the roof works perfectly.

Mine is the same as far as the slide bit goes - sometimes it'll close, sometimes not (wait 20 mins and it will !! ).

So I just use the tilt for now. I'll get round to looking at the slide bit - sometime :)

if the cables are snagged or buggered, and the slide dont work, it just wont move at all, coz theres too much presure on the motor, so it'll just like click and not move. I think.

But sometimes it will happily move. There is nothing that differentiates it moving. When it does move,it moves happily and freely.

I can open the roof at the beginning of a journey, and it will then not close.

It will always tilt open, but sometimed when the failure happens, it won't close.

I am pretty confident that this is not connected to the runners.

Please help, summer is coming!

Early or later car?

My valver won't always shut the sunroof when it is tilted but only if I have it fully open, it's not a motor issue as it will not run up and the relay can be heard clicking over too.

Try not fully opening the tilt and see if it still does it.

I think a new motor is around £160 from memory, or maybe it was £190, but it's a lot anyway. You're better off looking for a late second-hand motor. They have a built-in thing - sorry, I'm an electrical dunce - that cuts the motor if there appears to be resistance to movement, but it's quite sensitive and if the motor's tired, it can cut-in very easily.