Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Dad Car Time

Audi A4, 1.9d with sportline spec. Good economical car, quickish, enought toys, Cow seats and style enough to say "I know my cars but dont feel the need to enter a willy waving competition with you"

i'm in a simialr boat now - need a 4 door, a bit more 'executive' than the C, budget is around 6k, not too old.

Other requirements:

comfort (smooth & quiet)

leather

satnav/tv, if poss

decentish power

I've thought of

1. Avensis (real old fella car!!), perhaps with some 18" and lowered slightly

2. Bora, again with 18" and lowered, a good few grand cheaper too.

3. A4, although the new shape S-lines are all around 8.5-9k

4. 5 series, perhaps 530d (new shape)

5. 5 series (old shape facelift), again 525 or 530

6. 3 series, main problem is the image with this!

Dont like the cabin in the Saabs at all. They look absolutely horrible.

Any other suggestions, or does anyone have something to sell?

I recently inherited my dads old Mercedes W124 estate and they moved onto a slightly newer C240.. loaded with cruise control, leather, and air-con. Had done 125k, was in pretty good condition and everything works - cost them £1,600!

I'm a total convert. I love driving both cars. My older Mercedes estate is even more comfortable but more basic. And even that C240 has some serious grunt when you engage the kickdown - I would love to see what sort of Mercedes you could pick up for £6,000 - a bargain I would suspect! :) Worth keeping on your radar along with the 3 and 5 series's.

Well he's bought one, bet you won't guess what it is!

What did he buy? seeing this thread is now over two years old :shock: does he still have it! :lol:

I've seen a 330Ci with about 100k on it, that seems quite good. What things should i look out for on these engines something on the comparitive importance of chains and tensioners on the VR?

ask on e46fanatics.com you'll probably get a better reply, but generally they are the most reliable 3 series engine.

Has anyone mentioned that ex lease cars are going for sweet pennies at car auctions at the moment as dealers dont particularly want to hold on to them to depreciate on their forecourts. Might worth having a few cars in mind and going to one of the prestige sales.

where are they held? is there anyting in teh south east at all that you know of?

Just been looking at the 4 door 5 series. 530i., 2002 (E39?) facelift with satnav and leather. Plus the 18" parallels. Look superb, lots of space, lots of toys, look quite executive and only around 6k-6.5k for an 80k miler. There's one which is obviously a scam on the trader (email doesnt work, contact number 0707x, or something like that, pixellated photo), but it has a good spec and the colour i would prefer, plus of course for me the cream leathers. Does anyone know one being sold in good nick?

Toad, i'll take a trip down to Blackbushe as you suggest and see what they have as well, but a reference to a vehicle is always a bonus.