Sign in to follow this  
claire.major

Noisy belt/pullies on 92 G60 (Still having problems)

OK, sorry if this is a repost but I have searched and found answers to similar questions but I thinkg I need details and resolutions explained in a bit (read lot) more detail.

Basically there is a noise like a belt scraping/rubbing from the charger pulley (I think although its hard to pin point the noise, deffo from that aera) and I really would know where to start with a pulley/belt replacement so if someone could explain what the problem is, what I need to check and how to rectify that would be superb and I would be forever in their debt!

Thanks

Claire

theres 2 plastic rollers with bearings in ...they might have dried out ?

non genuine belts are noisey ..get a vw one

has the charger been looked at latley...might be a idea to have it looked at

theres 2 plastic rollers with bearings in ...they might have dried out ?

non genuine belts are noisey ..get a vw one

has the charger been looked at latley...might be a idea to have it looked at

Charger serviced 10k miles ago so that should be ok, deffo sounds like a pulley (roller) and listening again really does seem to be one of them. How easy are they to change?

yeah good call on the cam belt tensioner

to check any of those you would need to remove them and spin them to listen/feel ...they should spin smoothly and quietly

none of them are particulaly hard to change

*edit i guess you could spray wd40 or similar onto each one to see if changes the tone, but id sooner have em off to check by hand

yeah good call on the cam belt tensioner

to check any of those you would need to remove them and spin them to listen/feel ...they should spin smoothly and quietly

none of them are particulaly hard to change

*edit i guess you could spray wd40 or similar onto each one to see if changes the tone, but id sooner have em off to check by hand

Ok, well that sounds ok. My day tomorrow is sorted then.

Couple more questions (sorry!!) how do I remove the rollers and the cam belt tensioner. Would I need to remove the belt first?

you can wriggle the cam belt tesioner out when the belt is slack

the rollers...remove the charger drive belt and theyre held on with 6mm hex key bolts iirc

you can wriggle the cam belt tesioner out when the belt is slack

the rollers...remove the charger drive belt and theyre held on with 6mm hex key bolts iirc

Cool, sounds like Im getting a plan together in my head.

Last couple of questions, how do I slacken the cam belt and how would I remove the charger belt?

when you undo the 15mm nut on the tensioner it will lose tension

the charger drive belt will go slack when you remove the mini shock absorber thingy...theres a special tool to remove it , but i just go with a thick and lean on it ...some people make a tool from a sealant gun?

when you undo the 15mm nut on the tensioner it will lose tension

the charger drive belt will go slack when you remove the mini shock absorber thingy...theres a special tool to remove it , but i just go with a thick and lean on it ...some people make a tool from a sealant gun?

Thats brilliant, thanks so much for your help, really is appreicated.

Claire

Cam belt tensioner - be careful if you slacken it as you will need a special tool or at least circlip pliers to retension - if you remove the plastic cover you should be able to tell if it's that making the noise I would think...

Also be warned - I couldn't compress the damper / tensioner thing on my own - very difficult to get back on especially a brand new one!!

just lean all your weight on it and it'll go on. otherwise use an oil filter wrench to compress it. check the plastic pulleys before looking at the cam belt tensioner

Could well be just a cheap pattern belt causing the noise going on my experiences.

I had a brand new GSF belt put onto my old G60 and the noise was AWFUL - like I thought something was seriously wrong with my charger or something. Awful metallic screeching. Had a new VW one put on and lo and behold - silence.

Definately look at getting a new VW belt (which is a different, improved design to the pattern ones) and you should find you get no more screeching..

Thanks for all the replies. Given me a few things to try, Ill look at the pullies first and if no joy maybe try a VW belt and then the cam belt tensioner!

Sorry to hijack this 1 but its to do with a similar thing.

The plastic bushes on the mini shock absorber are goosedon my car, are these available or is it a new unit. Any ideas on how much they are or if a new unit is required.

Cheers

Easiest way I found to take off my chrager tensioner arm was to 1stly take off the top nut holding on the top of the tensioner strut then I cobbled up a tool to compress the spring (was told by one of the guy`s on here 2 large jubilee clips fastened around the strut compress`s it) When you have compressed the spring remove the charger drive belt off the pulley.Then remove the compress tool,and pull off the top of the strut off the threaded rod.I just found it easier to remove and replace the tensioner with the belt off w/out any tension on it basically.It also states in the Bentley manual when you remove/replace the tensioner strut to compress and release it 5 times after removal hope this helps in any way.. :)

Sorry to hijack this 1 but its to do with a similar thing.

The plastic bushes on the mini shock absorber are goosedon my car, are these available or is it a new unit. Any ideas on how much they are or if a new unit is required.

Cheers

dont think vag sell the bushes ...forum member h100vw used to supply nylon ones , but he's gone off to live down under lol

then I cobbled up a tool to compress the spring

I used a normal F-clamp, did the job marvelously :-)

Tempest

Morning!

Just checked the plastic pulleys and both are not free moving (wont even do a complete spin if I try by hand) but neither are making noise by hand but when I started the engine I put Wd40 on the belt tensioner and nothing changed, then tried the pulleys and it stopped immediately and was good for ages. Im assuming I need 2 pulleys? Just spoke to local dealer and they are £20 each.

Does the above sounds right?

Thanks (again)

PS I can see how you remove the pulley at the bottom of the little shock absorber thing but I cannot see anyway to remove the other pulley? How is this done?

I think you can replace them with cam belt pulleys but not sure if different bolts are needed...

Also check the tensioner for wear and check the spring is not rubbing against the damper as this will cause the plastic pulleys to run 'off'

not sure why youd want to replace them with cambelt tensioners ?

try gsf for a price...£20 dont sound too bad

from memory you prise a small cap off to reveal the 6mm hex key bolt...if youre still stuck let me know and i'll go inspect mine its sat outside

not sure why youd want to replace them with cambelt tensioners ?

try gsf for a price...£20 dont sound too bad

from memory you prise a small cap off to reveal the 6mm hex key bolt...if youre still stuck let me know and i'll go inspect mine its sat outside

Got the pulley, £22 from VW so all ready to go. Only thing is, now I had a play around the noise has stopped and I just ran the car 40 miles and still no noise!! Do I change it now (since I know what Im doing?) or wait till it starts again?!!