Sign in to follow this  
claire.major

Noisy belt/pullies on 92 G60 (Still having problems)

so all you did was spray wd40 on them?? chances are it will wear off soon

did you just get one pulley? theres 2 on the car

so all you did was spray wd40 on them?? chances are it will wear off soon

did you just get one pulley? theres 2 on the car

Yeah I got 2. I loosened the belt so I could tell what the problem is. Kept expecting it to start up again whilst driving but it didn't!

Just started raining here so will start once the weather clears up!

You definately want to change it now cos if those bearings fall apart the belt comes loose and comes of sending your charger all over the place!

Hi again!!!

Relaced the 2 plastic pulleys and still happening. Just had a play around and the large bottom crank pulley (the one next to the water pump pulley) is very noisy when turned over by hand. Could htis need tightening, replacing etc. Also is the name for it the bottom crank pulley or did I just make that up?!!!

Cheers

The Crank pulley should not turn freely as you are turning the whole engine over. Are you sure you aren't talking about the waterpump pulley ? This sounds a more probable cause for your grinding/rumbling noises

The Crank pulley should not turn freely as you are turning the whole engine over. Are you sure you aren't talking about the waterpump pulley ? This sounds a more probable cause for your grinding/rumbling noises

I dont know, the water pump pulley has the PAS pulley on uit as well doesn't it as its not this one, its the large pulley to the immediate right of it.

Definatly sounds like the water pump pulley to me. I think you may have found your problem, New water pump time

Definatly sounds like the water pump pulley to me. I think you may have found your problem, New water pump time

Cool, well you are in the know so Ill get one sorted. Thanks for your help.

Right......search time......water pump replacement. :lol:

Morning.

Right, started the waterpump replacement yesterday and encounted immediate problems. On the charger removal I was trying to loosen the 4 6mm allen bolts around the charger pulley and the bottom one was so old and rounded the allen key was no use, tried a socket piece over the top (worked on one of the othher bolts) but this also did not work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

you're best to replace every bolt you remove around the charger anyway. you could try fitting in the hex head and tapping it in with a mallet - or since you want to replace them anyway - try a torx head that fits. dont turn slowly as you could round/distort the head easily. quick sharp turns may free it.

that works for me when hex bolts become stuck

you're best to replace every bolt you remove around the charger anyway. you could try fitting in the hex head and tapping it in with a mallet - or since you want to replace them anyway - try a torx head that fits. dont turn slowly as you could round/distort the head easily. quick sharp turns may free it.

that works for me when hex bolts become stuck

Thanks for the reply, thought that may be the best approach. Ive left it soaking all night so hoping it may have freed up a little for the assault this monring!!

Claire - if your still having probs get down to Machine mart and buy some Irwin Bolt Grippers - best tool I have ever purchased and not expensive either!

They're a socket set but the innards of the socket are sort of rifled with gripping teeth.. if a bolt is corroded or rounded off, you just pop one of these on and start trying to undo.. the socket bites into the corrosion till it finds something solid and you can undo said bolt!

Obviously you need a new bolt to replace the one you munched but in the handful of jobs i've done on my car, they've already come in useful!

Morning

was looking at the Bolt Grippers and they look like the thing I need but I think I need a 12mm one but they do not seem to do that size. Would a smaller one (ie 7/16in) need to be hammerd on then turned?

Cheers

Yeah - you don't need the exact size just the nearest one...

They go a kit in a box and then an expansion kit which fits in the original box - each are about £20

Yeah - you don't need the exact size just the nearest one...

They go a kit in a box and then an expansion kit which fits in the original box - each are about £20

Cool, thanks alot. As usual this forum and its users are an absolute god send

Cheers

Irwin bolt grippers are possibly the best invention ever.

Charger....off

Alternator....off

Charger bracket.....off

Water pump......how do I remove and reattach the pipes with the crazy metal cips on. Cant budge em.

Other then that I think Im sorted.