Sign in to follow this  
inky

Dying 1.3 mk 2 golf.......very ill...seeks doctor/nurse!!

anyone out there who may be able to help........son 's mk 2 golf 1.3 keeps dying....gave up finally the other night..refused to start, everything dead...no battery light or anything.even hazards not working..refused to jump start...called out rac...managed to jump it...made it 100yds down road and died again..called them back out and towed it home......

coil has been changed...all earths intact and correct....

ANY HELP APPRECIATED........ :(

i dont think it would be the ignition switch, new battery is always a good place to start if it died that quickly, or alternator.

i did think alternator as up to a couple of weeks ago batery was fine...gave him one off one of the raddos but it drained it...did get himto disconnect all amps/subs etc..but made no difference still drained and could not even get it to start using high powered booster.....and if it did only manage to hold it for afew mins before dying again....he has also charge batery overnight and still nothing the next day...i did think alternator as surely if its not charging the battery there is only so much power in it until it runs out.

Have you tried measuring the battery voltage overnight? i.e check before bed then again in the morning.

Does it hold a charge with the engine off? Sounds like a massive short cct to me

would try that but apparantly he's got the alternator off it now!!! Bloody electrical engineering student think after 2 years they know it all!!! will tell him to try but he is adamant he is puting a new alternator on it......we will see any more ideas are most welcome

Alternator,think it sounds about right.If it has had a fully charged battery in it and then using up the charge.It sounds as if nothing is going back into the battery,I would go with alternator :)

I had a similar problem when i had a 1.3 golf. Is he running a separate battery for the amps? the problem I had was the split charge relay was wired incorrectly, so it was constantly staying open. Therefore the main battery was constantly charging the amp battery.

I also had an alternator problem with it, think i changed the voltage regulator and it was ok. Was a cheap fix, well cheaper then a new alternator anyway. I think I may have a 1.3 alternator in the garage, pm me if interested.

He can have the alternator tested, i know a bloke in stoke that re cons them

He's already got it off and is now without transport but says he is getting one in the morning

I had a similar problem when i had a 1.3 golf. Is he running a separate battery for the amps? the problem I had was the split charge relay was wired incorrectly, so it was constantly staying open. Therefore the main battery was constantly charging the amp battery.

I also had an alternator problem with it, think i changed the voltage regulator and it was ok. Was a cheap fix, well cheaper then a new alternator anyway. I think I may have a 1.3 alternator in the garage, pm me if interested.

he is running everything off one battery but has been doing do with no problems for months now...so dont think its that..he's going for the new alternator in the morning so will let you know what happens..thanks :)

right..he has changed the alternator and all seemed fine..jump started it...left it running for a time...took off the jump leads ...drove down the road and it DIED!!!

Possible new battery needed?????? as this one is problably knackered????? and no longer holding charge?????

any ideas re this???

How long does it run without driving? i.e will it sit and idle on the drive ok but die when you try to drive it? Still think your looking at a hefty short somewhere.

think weve found it!!!!!...Massive bare middle section of battery wiring....hitting car...its now running and he is sorting it out...will keep you posted to see if this has cured it....thanks to you all. :)

How long does it run without driving? i.e will it sit and idle on the drive ok but die when you try to drive it? Still think your looking at a hefty short somewhere.

runs for ever once running but drive it and whoops dead and i mean dead.

all seems fine now...ragging it around like nutter as usual.....and has just turned up with a shiny new back box!!!!!! So I think he loves it again........thanks for all the help very much appreciated. :D