Sign in to follow this  
LJ

What parts needed for G60 bottom end rebuild?

My '91 G60 has done just over 120k miles, so I like the idea of refreshing the bottom end. I used the search and couldn't find anything useful, so ..

Keeping it standard capacity, and would be doing it all myself, what bits should I look to replace/check??

I've got hundreds of bits left over from god knows how many G60 mills,let me know if you need anything.

is the block knackered. if not then why do it with only 120k.

the closest to replacement must be the crank and rod shells/bearings. the rod once can be done witht eh sump off and crank still in no problem.

symptoms is a knocking clack type noise bout 2-3krpm that clears above that.

you hit issues when it comes ot pistons and rings. this is where the money starts and the standard block dissapears. to refit the pistons would require rings that are a bit bigger. also the block would need honing to allow the rings to seat properly.

rods would need centre bore checking and new bolts fitting, machining of centre bore to make true again.

crank may require a polish to make good.

use proper assembly lube and not engine oil. pack the oil pump with lube before yuo prime the engine. ill increase the suction dramatically reducing the time it takes for oil to get about.

thats to do it proper.

you could refit the pistons with new rings, same rods and bolts and fit new shells only.

As far as I know the block is fine ... though I mean to compression test it some time this century :-(

I do get what sounds like knackered tappets (or dry bearing?) at just above tick over speeds....I've yet to use a screw driver and listen for where this noise is coming from :-(

The car had a 268/276 cam and new lifters not many miles ago.

GazzgaG60 - sorry the "knocking clack" noise, does that indicate the wear at the crank/rod shells and bearings? I thought when they went you got a rumble when loading the engine - eg, climbing hill in big gear...?

yes the wear is of the rod bearings ususally.

you may have a dry or blocked lifter thats making the top end noise. maybe pull um out and soak in oil for a few days if you can.

If you do end up rebuilding the bottom end use mk.III tdi bearing shells as a uprated option.

Thanks for the advice. I think it's a case of if it ain't broke then don't touch it :-) Sounds good to me. I'll soak the lifters though, if that's where the noise is coming from.