Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

very lumpy idle

any ideas, think it may be that idle control thingy, someone said that if you soak it in brake fluid it cleans it out and it will work fine again,,,or poss the throttle body has **** in it???

any ideas?

Which engine?

Favourites for lumpy idle can include vacuum leaks somewhere on the inlet side (vac lines, manifold gaskets etc...) or (on a 16v) bad lambda probe, dodgy injectors or injector seals.

Ropey idle valves usually result in sticking revs too high, not coming down to idle properly or occasionally dipping at idle and possibly stalling.

Which engine?

Says 2l 16v in the description.

Like davidwort says check for vacuum leak, idle valves are readily available on e-bay. As for cleaning it use carb cleaner, squirt in a load give it a shake and drain out...I certainly wouldn't use brake fluid, are you sure the person didn't say brake cleaner??

Which engine?

Says 2l 16v in the description.

not from the 'recent posts since last visit', I've never noticed that before :)

Well my bad idle symptoms on my 2.0 16v were.. er.. revs sticking open, and a bouncing idle, as well as just cutting out. It was a flipping pain in the butt. Ended up picking up an idle valve from an Audi 80 2.0 which has done the job great :)

Check for the leaks, etc as first port of call and pick up some carb cleaner to clean out the ISV and the throttle body.. thats the cheapest stuff to start with :)