Sign in to follow this  
DubGarry

How Hard is it to change a gearbox?

how hard is it to change the gearbox on a 1.8 16v, theres some play in the diff and just wondered how hard / how long it would take to do by myself, or is it better to get someone else to do it

cheers

Chris

how hard is it to change the gearbox on a 1.8 16v, theres some play in the diff and just wondered how hard / how long it would take to do by myself, or is it better to get someone else to do it

cheers

Chris

It's heavy and the driveshaft splined bolts are a chore to undo, always ful of crud, so many and so time consuming, but it's not that bad a job otherwise, some big bolts round bellhousing and a small cover underneath that fills a gap between block and bellhousing, for some reason that's a fiddle IIRC

starter has to come off and it's bolts hold the front engine mount bracket in place so the engine needs supporting from underneath.

I've done this a few times at home, helps to have a cross engine bay support or crane to support the box, or a strong mate with some rope :lol:

Its easy if you have done it before..

See here

2nd time I've used this tonight weird.. Its a writeup I did for a Saab turbo transmission removal.

Although not a corrado it will give ya some ideas on how big the job may be for ya.

I've done it twice on a Corrado both times G60. Was a bit easier than the Saab. Well it was till I fited the box tightened up the bolts and sat back with a cig and wondered why my new release bering was sitting next to my old 1 by my cup of T :oops:

Some choice language at that point in the day :lol: