Sign in to follow this  
jonnyboyo

BEST SUSPENSION FOR 16V

Apologies everyone if this has been covered.

All i want is a lowered set up that doesn't ride like it has no suspension and a drop of approx 50 mill on a budget of £250 for my 1990 1.8 valver.

I'm not aiming to turn the car into a track day weapon and i'm not one for driving round every bend on 2 wheels (to olde now see) so an all singing all dancing coilover set up for £500 would be wasted on me lol!!!

1) is the above possible?

2) which makes and models are best?

I still want to achieve a decent ride quality but i am aware that there is a trade of in comfort when lowering a car which i don't mind.

Many thanks peeps :)

The age thing has prob got as much to do with my car too. It creaks and moans now like an old cart horse lol!!

I shall check the link thingies now. I'm useless on chuffin' computers, hence posting the question :oops:

In brief,

I'd suggest you don't go too low, 50 or 60mm will mean the front wishbones are pointing up instead of down and handling will be affected.

30 or 40mm drop is good and H&R springs with Koni top adjustable dampers are a good solution. A koni kit(including springs that you can sell on) and then H&R's on top will set you back close to 500 quid. Buy cheap alternatives and you will likely suffer from a poorer ride, i.e. something like a GSF lowering kit. you pays your money...

DAVIDWORT- Cheers for the advice on the amount to lower. I wasn't aware that a 50-60mm drop would affect the wishbones. 40mm it is then :)

I'm just thinking that in this day and age you would be able to buy a decent set-up for the £250 mark??

Especially for people who are only looking for a decent ride and a lower look.

Surely theres a fixed set (not coilovers) that are decent quality for £250 ish??