Sign in to follow this  
Nick_Micouris

Windscreen wiper shaft is broken. Easy to replace?

Hi All

Been having a lot of trouble with my windscreen wipers lately and found that the drivers side arm was loose at the mechanism.

After removing the entire wiper mechanism, I discovered that the wiper shaft (part number 536 955 216) has sheared off from its mounting on the wiper assembly framework.

It looks as if it fixes on by some kind of rivets. Does that sound correct? The part is listed as available separately, but I am not sure how to connect a new wiper spindle shaft (part mentioned above).

Anyone done it before?

Cheers,

Nick

Hi, no it just slots in and there is a ball joint that connects to the arm...

Unusual part to break - most it's the crank from the motor and the arm next to it that wear - I'd replace these too if not the whole lot...

Yes, I thought it was odd for it to break. Is it possible to order the complete window wiper mechanism fully assembled, then?

The other side seems to be very firmly attached, which led me to assume that it was riveted in!

Don't think you can order the whole shebang pre-assembled, but even if you could you'd pass out when they told you the price :lol:

The shafts are sort of riveted in - you'll need to carefully cut the old ones off. I'd use a chisel so you don't damage the hole in the bracket, but I guess a drill would work too.

When you get the new spindle, it'll have two cones on it that fit into the holes and then need pressing into place. If you've got a few different size bits of wood to pack a normal metalwork vice out with, it can be done in that, but better to use a proper hydraulic press for the job. Most garages will have them, or if you've already got the mech out - take it to VW with you and they can probably press it in for you.

This sounds exactly like the situation I had a few weeks ago. The driver's side spindle was very loose and when I took out the mechanism it was clear that one of the rivets holding the spindle to the frame was broken.

I drilled the offending rivet out and replaced the it with a nut and bolt (M6 if I remember correctly) with spring washers to keep it all tight. It now works perfectly and the Lupo wipers are good at absolutely any road speed.

Best wishes

RB

Hi guys.

Thanks for this. Yes, I was thinking of doing the same thing myself, but in the end, I ordered the spindle from the dealer and it should be here today.

£11, so not expensive at all. Just hope I don't have a hard time pushing the rivets in. Would have made it much easier if VW supplied them with M6 nuts and bolts!!