Sign in to follow this  
Rustynuts

Just changed engine - now clutch pedal at floor

Just done an engine rebuild, has been going well and it is back in car and running. Now got a problem, have reconnected the clutch slave cylinder to the gearbox and seem to have lost pressure. I made sure the new clutch kit matched the old so can only think this must be a failure in the clutch hydraulics.

Anyone ever experienced something similar? It did have quite a low bitepoint prior to engine work, now it has no pedal pressure at all! There seems to be no leaks from the slave cylinder.

Is it deffo actuating(or pointing at) the clutch fork??? ie something maybe out of place?

If it was low before tho and you have got a new clutch you really want to change the slave anyways...

Well there is def a plate to push against as i can feel it with my finger. I am thinking i try and bleed it and then see if it works. They are not too expensive these slave cylinders at about 40 quid from GSF so it is not too bad i suppose.

When I had the engine replaced in my car (and had the clutch done at the same time) the garage had to replace the slave cylinder - didn't have any visible faults, but they just couldn't get it to bleed - yet before the engine swap I hadn't had any problems with the hydraulics at all. And, as you say, at least a new slave cylinder is fairly cheap if you do need one.

Just try undoing the bleed screw, and take the top off the brake fluid resevoir gravity will cause the fluid to run through the system and bleed itself. That's what I did inadvertantly in the past.

I am thinking i try and bleed it and then see if it works.

Hi

Is there any fluid in the slave cylinder ?

One way to get fluid in is to use a syringe.

Not sure yet, just about to have a play now and see if bleeding or anything else is going to help. Just so you know, i only removed cylinder from the gearbox and not disconnected the system.