Sign in to follow this  
Storm_VR6

The C has Passed!!!

Can’t believe 12 Months have gone by so quick, Corrado’s MOT due date was drawing close so I thought I’d get it done sooner rather then later.

Pass Pass Pass Pass!!! :D

However, not all good news, the tester also handed over an advisory sheet:

Nearly all the break pipes were in a deteriorated state but not enough to fail

Offside gaiter starting to deteriorate

Headlights were in need of alignment but were not more then 50% off the norm.

Not bad at all considering the car has covered 158K and for 4 years running, has not failed an MOT.

Smiling all the way home, thought i'd share my happy news.

good work fella, I took mine in early too, but didn't have the same result, forgot to remove my colour coded repeaters :lol: :oops:

Congratulations...

I hate MOTs as i have a habit of failing them, was lucky in 2006 so fingers crossed for 2007..

Goldie - Good luck

Therapor - Surely you're only joking

vr6storm - you've got a Porsche, you can afford an MOT failure :) , only joking, hope your good luck continues...

Still very happy, just a little concerned about the advisories

at least you have a whole year to sort them before next time, rather than 10 days or whatever before you have to pay for the test again. Unfortunately mine failed on the brake pipes a couple of weeks ago, all 4 rear and front to rear had to be replaced. Get mine back on wed so I'll see what bad news is on advisories then........

I think 4 passes in a row is v impressive. Good work!

Talked to a few VW owners, according to them, it's quite common for break pipes to corrode...

My mate owns a MK2 Golf and before he put his car in for testing, he sanded and painted the break pipes, then failed on having no horn lol....

Scarlet - interested to know how much it cost to get the pipes done on your Rado, will book mine in soon. Estimating 30 quid a pipe.

In my experience, brake pipe corrosion - even slight - comes up in most MOT and service advisories and has done for over 20 years.

My local garage replaces them with a non corroding type (copper?).

Storm_VR6, well I paid £225 today to have all rear and front to rear brake pipes replaced (6 in total) so that's £37.50 each but not including VAT. As a girl in the south, I've probably paid over the odds though!

I also have a few advisories just in case I was wondering what to spend my money on before the next MOT doom day :roll: , the worst of which are

slight movement in both front anti-roll bar link rubbers

heavy engine oil leak (which I have a horrible feeling is the head gasket)

heavy dampness around NSR shock absorber

exhaust corroded

rubber suspension bushes cracking

I knew about most of this but can't afford to get it all sorted yet

Waiting for a car to pass its MOT is like waiting for a baby.

always had a pass,bar a main beam bulb on the dashonce;

pissed the tester right off with chrishill telling me how to sort it,was backan hour later for its pass.

shame they never noticed the other years as its never worked....

Break pipes are clarted in grease,that sorts that.

AFAIK copper pipe reacts badly with roadsalt

cheers

Scarlet - Thank you for the info, much appreciated.

Think i'll get the pipes checked again, just to make sure that they are in need of replacement £200+ bill is something I can do without at the mo.

I usually use the same MOT station but this year I decided to go elsewhere, test was slightly cheaper, lol.

no probs Storm_VR6, I'm sure all will be ok. I've known that mine needed to be replaced for months but as usual, I left it to the last minute. I had no choice in the end cos mine were so bad that they were a failure! I also have heard that sand paper and vaseline would sort them out for a while but not sure how long. I thought all tests were the same price now, just depends on age of car?

chubbybrown, I just phoned my garage to find out what was used to replace them and they said copper so I quoted you and they didn't agree. They even reckoned that the originals were copper, partly cos it's easier to shape. Who knows though????!!!!!

Not in Birmingham, MOT costs vary from garage to garage....I paid £35, the cheapest I have seen is £25 but the station is 10 miles away from where I live. Most garages charge £40 - £50 round here.

yeah mine was £40. bloody expensive south!

tbh the recommended MOT fee is £50+.........so getting it for £40 is a decent discount

yeah mine was £40. bloody expensive south!

tbh the recommended MOT fee is £50+.........so getting it for £40 is a decent discount

maybe they felt sorry for me! They already knew they were gonna get a decent amount out of me for brake pipes and rear beam axle bushes :wink: well thanks for that anyway - I feel better now lol

The only reason it's cheaper here is due to competition...

The garage that's advertised the MOT for £25 opened up 2 months ago and it's a good way to induce customers.

I paid £40 last year.

Son of Beesting - Congrats to you too mate!

scarlett I could be wrong but you mix copper and salt water and you get corrosion.

Ive seen peugeots fail thier first MOT.

My mitsi had an advise on last MOT for brake pipes so I just rubbed them down ( copper ) and greased them up passed with no advice at all.

its just some wet n dry over the furred up bits

then clart them with grease using a brush job done!

http://www.infoplease.com/cig/science-f ... stest.html

Cheers

p.s some are plastic coated copper and they take longer to corrode

Nearly all brake pipes are made from copper on new cars,they should take a while to corrode though,longer if they are covered with plastic or if your posh sleeved.

Its not usually the Norm though,So I clart them with grease,it just slows down the corrosion process.

Well chuffed, mine has just passed it's 9th consecutive MOT with no work required!

:shock: that's fantastic! nice one 8)

Result - another MOT pass for the trustee C, v. happy!! :D

Advisroy Items:

Nearside rear rear wheel bearing has slight play

offside rear rear wheel bearing has slight play

offside front steering column shaft has slight end float -

Can the offside front steering colums shaft be changed?? or does this mean I may need a new steering rack in the future?