Sign in to follow this  
ace666

Have sprung a leak

Hello as above i have sprung an oil leak please help.

i have had the car around 4 weeks the previous owner has had the head gasket done and the head skimed .

the oil seems to be driping of the sump but where the gearbox connects to the engine seems to be oily as well .

could any one recomend the best way to find out whats gone wrong.

i am thinking about first changing the sump plus the sump gasket the plug and plug washer does this seem like the right way of eliminating poss probs?

This could be one of numerous possibilities. First do the sump gasket, make sure you do not over torque the sump bolts.

If this does not solve your problem, I would suggest it could well be the crank seal on the gearbox side, this will be an arse as it's a gearbox off job.

Last option is that the gearbox itself could be leaking, this could well be from the main shaft seal. Though this would contaminate your clutch too and cause slipping

hi i have changed the sump and the sump gasket plus the oil filter and it seems to have stoped the leak will no more in the morning .

when i was changing the sump the sump bolts seemed very loose and the oil filter just freely unscrewed its kinda strange i thort but any other opinions would be welcome.

any how all being well the leak is fixed (i hope)

many thanks adam :)

Can't comment on the sump screws, maybe they are just not a very high torque, however the oil filter had not been on long, so would be easy to get off, its when people do them up too tight or do not lubricate the seal, that they are hard to remove