Sign in to follow this  
Badger

SUNROOF AND REAR SPOILER QUESTION.

So i have had my Corrado for just short of a week and everything is great. The worst thing is having to park it and go to bed!!

Any way, when i was looking to buy a Corrado i came across many tails of non functioning spoilers and sunroofs.

Now in an attempt to keep everything moving smoothly can any one tell me if i should be greasing the rear spoiler and sunroof and if so which parts and how much?

Thank you..

I've always found that a good coating of WD-40 on the runners of the sunroof is the way to go to keep it running smoothly and thus prevent the motor straining to overcome the resistance which leads to the motor burning out.

As for the spoiler, I can't say I've ever done much to that.

Now I've said this, both will clearly burn out within the next week, according to Sod's law.

I know the feeling about having to park it though Badger. I regularly get jipped good-naturedly by the missus for taking her out somewhere, parking up the 'rado, walking away with her and turning round to admire the car as we go off wherever we're going.

I grease the runners of the sunroof to keep it running smoothly, do your door handles as well, it will keep them feeling smooth....

it's not the spoiler supports that need lubricating it's the mechanism cables that drive it. to do that you need to remove spoiler itself, the rear tailgate panel, disconnect all the wiring and remove the spoiler unit and motor.

You can then disassemble the drive tubes and cables and inspect for corrosion, once the cables get bad corrosion in them they're pretty shot and you'll need a whole new unit, so re-greasing is a good idea at least once in their lifetime.

With the mechanisms out you will see that the main spoiler supports are lifted by a small lug on the side of the cables and not directly, it's a strange arrangement but aims to keep water that goes down past the spoiler supports away from the drive mechanism, it works but not completely!

It's time consuming to do all this but good preventative maintenance.

Arr Mr Sands, i found myself doing the very same on one of my many trips to get petrol, but if any one asked i was looking to see if i had left my lights on!

Thanks for the advise chaps. I have greased the sunroof channels this morning after removing the old dirty stuff and all seems well.

The spoiler sounds a bit more in depth job and may prevent me from driving it for a couple of hours so i will atempt this along with the door handles at a later date.

Happy Easter..