Sign in to follow this  
reading_corrado

Blue smoke on idle

hello,

I have started noticing quite a lot of smoke (more than there should be) when the engine running in idle...

I am realy concerned about this, obviously, I have only had my corrado 1.8 16v for a few days and it seemed fine before..

I have got some problems with the clutch which i am getting sorted, but this smoke now is a real concern

anyone got any ideas? the engine was new at 94,000 miles and its done 128,000 in total, so low mileage on this engine.

thanks

pete

check that the oil breather on the block isnt blocked or clogged up.

Should be a pipe going from it to the airbox, when these get clogged it can make 16Vs smoke i believe.

Wouldnt have thought the Valve stems would need doing already with a low mileage engine.

Mike, Nino...

Thanks guys. I was hoping that it wasn't too serious, so I am will until I can take to it a mechanic friend of mine who is going to look at it and sort it out. This information will prove very useful!

Much appreciated

Peter

Wouldnt have thought the Valve stems would need doing already with a low mileage engine.

the engine i have in mine was out of a corrado that had only done 83k, i guess over time they become hard and less pliable and are prone to cracking, this was evident when we tried to take the old ones out!

not sayin it is, but it could be them perishing things!

hope u get it sorted m8 by the way

Yeah good point, i was getting mixed up, i thought he had put in a brand new engine at 94000 miles...lol

Guys, Sorry, I might have confused you...

the engine was a new 'short' engine, and parts were swapped over as required, and o/s driveshaft gaitor and clutch replaced.

Parts £750 and labour £670....

So, not a new engine as such. Do you think I may have serious problems?

My mate has offered me a 1991 big bumper 1.8 GL mark II golf, for free, which he reckons is in better condition than my corrado generally, and which (with a few hundred quid) will be a great runner and I am tempted to sell the Corrado....as spares or for a project, thinking that I dont really know my mechanics too well and I could use the money on this golf..

what do you reckon?

Any idea what this corrado will be worth roughly?

Thanks

Peter

i concur, keep the rado and get it fixed. it will be head off time if its stem seals, but i do believe they can be done without this with compressed air in the apark plug holes to keep the valve closed. point of interest, have u checked the breathers as said before and maybe do a compression check?

hope u gerrit sorted mate.