Sign in to follow this  
J a m e s

How hard to fit coil overs yourself?

the fronts are easy,but the rears are a bit harder due to the location of the bolt in the rear beam,it took me about 4 hours but that was with stoping a lot to have a lot of cold drinks because i just had to change mine on one of the hottest days of the year :lol:

is it hard?

if your handy with spanners and have a decent set of tools it should be easy enough for you....preferably get a mate to help/assist you.........ess_three on the forum did mine.....while i assisited(well raised and lowered the trolley jack)took us approx 3-4hours but we weren't in any great hurry

one thing i would recommend that you have though is a suitable trolley jack.....as your going to be in for quite a lot of raising and lowering the car and having the wheels on and off quite a bit

quick tip..to get the nut off your struts use a spark plug socket with a long allen key through the middle of it to hold the shaft from turning,then turn the socket using a spanner :)

Hi James,

did mine with a fellow C enthusiast too. Fairly easy to do with the right tools.

To make the job a lot easier get a garage to loosen the 2 nuts holding the struts under the bonnet on either side with a gun (safe to drive home with it slightly loose) and the 2 nuts on either side at the base of the rear strut.

HTH

Me and my dad did mine. First one at the front we followed the haynes manual which said to drop the balljoint,antiroll bar - the whole hub basically! What a load of b****x! Took us ages and than the antiroll bar link sheared off :x Had to drive around for 2 days with my nice new suspension but going round 50mph corners at 5mph until i could could get my new linkage

The next one we just undone the top and bottom of the strut and was pretty simple in the end.

Rears were so easy! Didnt ave any trouble getting the rear bolts undone.

I would say job done in 4 hours too :) (although took me a lot longer,always does :lol: