Sign in to follow this  
G60_91

Decat pipes for a G60

The cat is rattling quite bad on my G60 so im guessing its about blown to peices. Ive got 11 months MOT left on it so wouldnt mind getting a little bit more power out of the car until i need to replace it and get it tested again.

Looking to get a decat pipe from somewhere. Can anyone recommend anywhere for a good price?

cheers, will have a look later on. seen a few on ebay aswell. Is it the same pipe for G's and 16v's? some of the sites only list them as being for 16vs or for VR's. I would imagine its the same for all the 4 cylinder engines?

the raceland de-cat pipes on ebay are only for vr's or 16v's the 16v one is the shortest the vr one is a bit longer but its still slightly shorter than a g60 one would need to be, i bought a vr one at dubfreeze and had to get a short section of pipe from demon tweeks to fill the gap, luckily they had some stainless pipe spare and flared one end for me for free so it was simple to clamp it on.

thanks. G-Werks look like the best bet then.

Mine is a 91 or a 92 so im not sure whether it has to have a cat to pass MOT?

Is it right that if the car came with one on in the first place even before the 93 cut-off then it has to have one?

It is not illegal for a post 92 car to have no cat! It is only illegal for a manufacturer to build one without the cat. The MOT test only requires that post 92 cars pass a 'cat' test. The car does not actually have to have a cat fitted to pass the test, and some cars have such low emissions that they can easily pass without the cat. You should be ok - I think August 92 is the cut off date. I run a CAT by-pass on my 92 G60 which goes through its MOT every year with no problems - the power gain is quite noticable too.

Thanks! I will get it ordered this weekend. Garry, from what youve said I shud be ok with leaving the cat bypass on permanently. Thanks for clearing up the req's for emissions test and stuff as i wasnt too sure of the details.

Maybe i shud start a new topic, but I have a Stage 4 ported charger with a standard pulley. The lad i got it from before ran it with a 68mm for a while then put the standard one back on for fuel consumption reasons, i think the running cost was why he sold it in the end aswell.

Is it a big job to fit a smaller pulley back on? Is there anything which shud be replaced/checked before i do it?

many thanks

sam

Is it a big job to fit a smaller pulley back on? Is there anything which shud be replaced/checked before i do it?

It is pretty straight forward to replace the pulley wheel itself. However, you will need to run a shorter gates belt or an extended belt tensioner.

I run a shorter belt on mine. For a 68mm pulley, the Gates belt part number is 68416 6PK1638. Darren at G-Werks will sell you one.

Another thing you will need to establish is what chip you are currently running. If you are running a std pulley, the likelyhood is that you are also running the standard OEM chip. If you resort back to a 68mm set-up you will need a re-mapped chip.

The last but most important thing - when is your charger due for its service/rebuild? If its soon get it done first or it could go KAHBOOM with the extra stress of running the smaller pulley wheel.

Hope this helps

Thanks.

S/C was serviced bout 20k ago. Was thinking i would have it done anyway as i read somewhere that while its been done its best to replace the tensioners as well?

I think i will prob take myself down to G-Werks one day and look at getting all the bits for the above. Cat bypass, pulley, belt, tensioners and maybe get it chipped n mapped. Im not sure what chip is in there, although i wud imagine he sold it with the pulley before he sold the car to me.

I will have a look on GWerks website now n price it all up.

Very impressed with the car so far and did the boost check and its reading out between 1800-1900 on the mfa. Only real problem with it is the temp gauge on the dash isnt reading anything. Not losing any coolant, Fan kicks in, coolant is getting to rad and heaters working so guessing its just the dash connection? Oil temp seems to correspond with the temp the fan kicks in at so ive been using that to get me by.

Thanks for the advice. Im off to sell a kidney....

Hi again.

CAT bypass pipe from Gwerks is really good price delivered and hopefully looks like wont be too hard to fit it on.

Is there anything i would need to have done with the ECU to alter the lambda sensor readings or will it just be a case of putting the probe in?

many thanks

sam

The pipe is simple to fit G60_91. straight on with the lambda probe.......You may need to swing on the lambda probe to get the old one off if it's been on a while, little b******s to get out sometimes.

g60 should pass the emissions test with our without a cat as long as the lambda sensor is fitted and working properly... that's what it's for... ;) :lol: