Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

HELP! Checking a Cat C car?

Is there anyway of checking a CatC car to see what damage it's sustained?

A friend's looking at a car and HPi come back as CatC last year, dealer says it was stolen with the keys and recovered later, and sold to him.

Thing is "Stolen with Keys" would indicate a CatD to my mind.. so something doesn't add up. More to the point why would they write off a recovered car if it was taken with keys surely no damage?

Is there any way of checking why it was CatC'd?

Not sure about that. I'd entirely agree with the fact that simply being stolen would imply Cat D.

For Cat C, doesn't it have to have passed an inspection before being allowed back on the road?

Not sure about that. I'd entirely agree with the fact that simply being stolen would imply Cat D.

For Cat C, doesn't it have to have passed an inspection before being allowed back on the road?

have seen photos of it in the Police Pound (alledgely) and doesn't apper to have any damage, but only exterior shots...

If the car was infact stolen with the keys then recovered undamaged, it would not even be recorded mate, these normally go down as a cat X which doesnt show on HPI. If the car was damaged whether stolen or not it will then be classified in the usual ABI categories A,B,C,D etc. No way of knowing what the damage was unless you speak to the previous owner who made the claim. If the car is priced accordingly (ie cheaper) then i'd check the car on its face value, unless its an Aston or something i wouldnt worry too much !

Jimmi...................