Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Sony Headunit fitting!

Right need some help fitting a headunit.

Need to know which wires should be connected to which.

When i bought the car there was no stereo just two block connectors in the dash, one brown one black. So i cut the connectors off and proceeded to connect the coloured wires to the connectors on the headunit loom (which had remains of wires from insurance comp taking it out of my old rado). So the same colour wire went to where there was remaining wire of the same colour. However i only got so far before i was trying to figure out which wires went to which connectors with no remaining wire.

SO now i have the following wires not yet connected which i need to know which coloured wire from the back of the dash goes to which coloured wire of the headunit loom

from back of dash- thin grey/blue striped wire, thin brown/red striped wire, thin blue/white striped wire, thicker red/white striped wire, thicker brown wire.

wires from headunit loom- blue with brown dashes, orange with black dashes, yellow with red dashes and black with red dashes.

Can anyone tell me which coloured wire from the dash goes to which coloured wire on the headunit loom?

Thanks in advance.

Your stereo's manual should have a pin-out for the standard ISO block loom (which you've just cut off from your car... ). If you match that to the blocks you've just removed, you should be able to work it out.

Personally, I would have attached another ISO block onto the stereo, then just plugged it all back in... Just need to buy an extension from Halfords, chop one end off, and crimp the other end onto your wires on the stereo. Then just plug in.

Makes changing your stereo in the future far simpler too - 5 min job instead of 1+ hours and potential shorts, etc..

It drives me MAD when I buy a car that's had the loom mullered.

A job isn't worth doing if you're not going to do it properly -- especially with electrics.

Problem- lost the headunit manual since moving house. ah so get rid of the headunit loom and use the 2 blocks that were in the car already. Attach that to a new loom and into the back of the stereo?

The colouring should be pretty standard. Have a look in your manual or one of those car takey apart books whose names I can't remember..... :mad:

Problem- lost the headunit manual since moving house. ah so get rid of the headunit loom and use the 2 blocks that were in the car already. Attach that to a new loom and into the back of the stereo?

You may be able to find the manual in PDF form if you search Google/Sony.

Reconnect the blocks that you chopped off the car loom.

Then get the opposite connectors from Halfords (or whoever) and attach that to the wires in the loom of the stereo - don't remove those wires too - it won't just plug into the back of the stereo itself sadly.

It's worth spending the extra time getting it right first time, trust me :) Done enough stereos for myself, friends, etc in the past.

Try searching for the installation guide. What head unit is it? I might have a manual somewhere for an older minidisk headunit.

Right update...

Been to halfrauds today. They do plenty of adaptors. I found the one i needed (sort of), one large block connector for the back of the headunit. But it splits into 2 male iso connectors. But the connectors in the car are 2 male iso connectors. Can you get a male to male adaptor too? Or is there an adaptor that splits into 2 females?

Sounds like you have the wrong ones on one side...

Worth popping to Halfords with it in the car and they will look and tell you instantly what's wrong.

I _think_ the car-side ones are female (to reduce shorts if nothing's connected) and the stereo-side ones should be the male ones...

They may have a female-to-female cable to go in-between, but I think its just one of them is wrong, I'm afraid!

Had my Sony done by "Professionals" (who didn't swap the power wires round so no memory.. anoher job on the list) They used Sony looms to teh stock ISO connectors so yeah there must be.

Might be worth going to s decent Sony stockist/ Car Audio centre rather than HellFrauds...

Well luckily theres a car audio place literally 4 shops away from halfords. The loom that came with the car is just a male connector into the back of the unit. This trails off into 1 large strip of screws and 2 smaller ones. Ill take the car down it would be better.

Oh and how do you reconnect the wires back to iso blocks. Ive tried getting the pins out but they will not budge. CAN you reconnect ISOs?

However (not thread related) the car has decided not to work this afternoon. Went home at lunch, got in car to go back to work and it wouldnt fire up. It turns over but will not even attempt to start. gonna change fuel filter see if that solves the prob.

You'll need to recrimp all the cables.

Should be able to use bullet-connectors or straight-through connectors if you're strong enough with a pair of piers (though a proper crimper is a LOT easier)

the iso connector in the car loom should go inside the iso connector of the radio so to make the loom connection (cold). if you can see flat brass pins on the inside of the loom conector then its (hot) and its the opposite of the plug that you should have there.

i wouldnt have thought they make a wiring harnass for the radio with cold connections on so i would think its defo the loom end thats wrong.....?