Sign in to follow this  
Nugget

Replacement rear box for 1.8 16V - pre cat 1989

Was wanting some advice with regard to having a new rear box fitted to my 1.8 16V Corrado (it doesn't have a cat).

Was considering a stainless steel unit and wanted to know what I should consider paying and if anyone had any good experiences/recommendations in the York area.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Try all the usual suspects such as magnex, milltek, etc. Pretty much every exhaust manufacturer will do a back box for your corrado. Definitely go for stainless steel if you decide to go after market as they're much better quality.

Rear boxes on their own tend to be rather pricey in my opinion, say around the £150-ish mark. Espesially considering the whole exhaust can be had for around £300. Worth checking the condition of all your zorst while your at it. Mine seemed fine then let go big stylee without warning. Standard units are very expensive, i got quoted £450-£500 from Kwik-Fit and an independant garage. No idea how much they are from VW.

I went to Longlife Exhausts in the end and had a whole s/steel system fitted on my 1990 G reg (pre-cat) 1.8 16v for £319 all in. The price should have been £289 but i wanted a slightly bigger oval tail pipe which cost an extra £30. Worth noting that the sales guy said he'd knock 10% off for members of the forum. The fit was spot on and there has never been any knocking or banging from the exhaust, which can be a common problem on after market exhausts for the corrado.

There are Longlife places up and down the country so should be one near you.

Check out the 'definitive exhaust thread' for all sorts of feedback and comments on different exhausts.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks for this advice. Particularly with regard to the cost of replacing the whole system rather than just the back box.

Quotes for the back box alone range from £140 (Kwik fit) to £270 (VW Main dealer).

Appreciated

Yeah the standard systems are mega bucks, no idea why coz these aren't fancy complicated cars. A full system for my GT4 from Toyota was only £540 and they're stainless steel from factory. Kinda puts oem vag stuff into perspective really.

Good luck with the exhaust hunt :)