Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

Selling vs Breaking

My question is, at what point does it make more financial sense to break a corrado than to sell it, or is it simply one of convenience?

I'm assuming breaking is something you have to do yourself?

Let's assume the car runs ok, but for one reason or another, wouldn't be worth a lot (having traits that would almost certainly scare away potential buyers), rather than a crash/damaged example.

However, with the scarcity of some corrado parts there must theoretically be a price point where the bits are worth more than the car, and if so, what is it?

This isn't a WTS or how much is it worth btw :lol:

the answers being 'sometime in the future' and 'the square root of f'all' :-P

I've been having a discussion along these lines with a mate recently....

I can't see that there is a huge value in a corrado in parts. Take a 16v for example (I've got one to break, hence my thinking)

Interior. Carpet, plastic parts, seats etc. £300 roughly

Engine £100-150

Gearbox £50

Engine Ancillaries £70

Wings, doors, some glass, sunroof, etc £?

Wheels £50-£100 possibly

This is all for standard items. Obviously if they weren't standard, the cost of the corrado to you would be more.

So you look to make maybe £800 from the car. whcih sounds good, but how much did the car cost you? Even if you got lucky and paid very little, you've still got to account for your time. I would reckon on earning £10 per hour to make things worthwhile. When you consider how long it takes to strip a corrado, then the profit begins to drop further.

I might be being cynical, but unless you've got a fair bit of spare time to strip the car, spend time advertising it, communicate with buyers, go to the post office (even if postage is paid by the buyer, you stil have to physically spend time packaging and travelling to the post office). Then you might have lost or broken tems that you will lose out on. You might have to deal with disgruntled customers (there've been good examples here recently), it begins to get hard to justify.

I might be being cynical, but unless you've got a fair bit of spare time to strip the car, spend time advertising it, communicate with buyers, go to the post office (even if postage is paid by the buyer, you stil have to physically spend time packaging and travelling to the post office). Then you might have lost or broken tems that you will lose out on. You might have to deal with disgruntled customers (there've been good examples here recently), it begins to get hard to justify.

Excellent point. Thanks for your reply.

To be honest it's the high mileage (200k in about a months time) and the fact it needs some bodywork at the rear sorting (rust) which leads me to believe selling is going to be pretty difficult. But, as you rightly point out, the extra hassles for what might end up being a few extra £ looks even less attractive :)

It depends on how much work you are willing to put into stripping all the parts really! The smaller you break everything down into, the more money I think you get from it!

For example: I stuck a single elec window swith on ebay starting at 99p and it ended up selling for £15+. But when I put and entire door car up with all the switches etc still attached I "only" got £25....so I would have got way more if I had split up all the doorcard parts...but then you have more of the probs with delivery etc that Toad was mentioning.

From the bits I've sold in the past..I think there is more than £800 worth of parts on a valver though :wink:

i broke a valver couple years ago that had been rear and fronted, it was is top nick before but written off

didnt have space and my parents only could keep it a while, i made 1k + from parts after buying it back but could`ve got more if i split it properly

worth doing if you can be arsed and it`s defo not worth fixing ( prob no point on 16v) shame to take another off the road but unfortunately thats the way it goes.

Perhaps I was a bit conservative with my estimate, but making top money will mean having some parts left over for a long time. It seems that noone wants the bare shells either, so budget for getting the shell taken to the scrap yard. I'm lucky in having a place to store my spare car, so I can strip it slowly. and until recently I've just been using the parts on my own car anyway.

There seems to be a few more cars being broken at the moment too, which might affect price. Whcih is a good point, how do you price all the bits up? I really struggle to work out what they're worth.

Good luck if you do decide to split it.