Sign in to follow this  
KIPVW

Fitting a VT front mount

Is there a how to fit the above post somewhere on the forum? i've had a search but to no avail.

I have the old one out which was an utter pain but i'd like confirmation on fitting the new one, i'm sure its ok but it just doesn't look anything like the old one.

Do you not need to refit the cover plate with the 3 bolts back on with this mount?

Any advice chaps and chapesses? :(

I found a "how to" in the Sprinter August 1999 issue, guess not everyone has this!

It shouldn't be all that tricky to do, remove the bracket from the engine, you'll have loads of room then. I threw the lower plate away too but then there was no point keeping it as all three studs sheared off the crossmember rather than coming undone when I did mine, it has no further use anyway.

I found a "how to" in the Sprinter August 1999 issue, guess not everyone has this!

I know Kip has, hes got all of them from the start!!

Hi tonedef,

Yes i have the article in question but feel its a little vague in some areas.

What happens with the bottom of the mount?

does it just sit into the top of the cross member then hold in place with the huge washer and weedy looking nut from underneath?

I must admit i have serious reservations regarding this nut as i sell them at the cycle shop where i work and theyre fairly easy to strip the thread on to say the least, let alone hold a vr6 engine down when its going some. :roll:

Hi tonedef,

Yes i have the article in question but feel its a little vague in some areas.

What happens with the bottom of the mount?

does it just sit into the top of the cross member then hold in place with the huge washer and weedy looking nut from underneath?

I must admit i have serious reservations regarding this nut as i sell them at the cycle shop where i work and theyre fairly easy to strip the thread on to say the least, let alone hold a vr6 engine down when its going some. :roll:

Good to hear I'm not the only one with all the old Sprinters, I let my mebership slip some time in 2003/4 but have every one from the first photocopied stapled together sheets of A4 that was "Issue 1". Might join again if they let me keep my original membership number (058) :lol:

You're right about the way it fixes to the cross member with just the big washer and nylock nut to hold it in place, I thought it looked a bit suspect too but figured they must have sold plenty since I'd first read about them. If things fell to bits I guessed I'd have heard scare stories some time in the last five yeras.

Well cheers for that matey, always nice to hear a second opinion :D

And talking of CCGB, why dont you consider rejoining? the club now has an excellent committee who are very keen to impress and move the club forward.

For the record i've just been voted in as chairman and i'm still the region host for yorkshire so maybe could meet up for a natter with a few others sometime?

Cheers!

Kip.

Membership number 058 is sitting there waiting for you to rejoin :)

Numbers are not reissued. Just send a cheque for £10 to

Box number 10346,

Halesowen,

B63 3XU

Quoting name, address, phone number, email address, old membership number and you are back in the club.

(Sorry to hijack the thread Mr Chairman)

Membership number 058 is sitting there waiting for you to rejoin :)

Numbers are not reissued. Just send a cheque for £10 to

Box number 10346,

Halesowen,

B63 3XU

Quoting name, address, phone number, email address, old membership number and you are back in the club.

(Sorry to hijack the thread Mr Chairman)

Sounds like I'm getting bullied into rejoining! I'm sure you can't get accused of hijacking the thread Butterfly, it did after all start as a question about VT front mounts :lol:

I'm home from Kent at the weekend so might just get chance to stick a cheque in the post no that my enthusiasm for the Corrado has returned!

So KIPVW, your motor is one of the ones my mate saw at Woodhall services the other week when he was parked up in his 993? I almost drove up there to take a look when he called me to say you were there as I only live five minutes away but figured I'd arrive just as you left.

Yep that was KIP.

I was there too, along with Goldie in his Green Storm.

We were convoying down to the AGM in Birmingham and weren't there long. Maybe see you around. Harewood House Leeds 19th Aug?

Yep that was KIP.

I was there too, along with Goldie in his Green Storm.

We were convoying down to the AGM in Birmingham and weren't there long. Maybe see you around. Harewood House Leeds 19th Aug?

Maybe. More likely maybe not though, it's starting to look like as soon as I finish this job in Kent I'll be shipping off to Saudi for six months or so.

Oh well shame you moving off again, and got the mount sorted without too much problem and i can not believe the change its made.

Well worth the money!

And wasn't bullying you to join up again but things are looking good if i may say so myself :lol:

Anyway i'll let you know when we next have a local meet!

Regards.

Kip.

Kip, was it a competition or fast road mount that you put on? Just thinking about replacements and interested to see what others are using?

thanks

john

Hi duke,

Was indeed a fast road one i think its the one they call 950M but dont quote me on that.

But i'm sure if you ask they'll know straight away, must say though that the differance is amazing, i really didn't think i'd notice but its quite dramatic :flower:

How much did this set you back Kip?

Its on the shopping list and ive spent a fotune in the last week.

Was £148 inc postage from C&R in nottingham, you order it from them and it comes straight from the factory and was here in 3 days

Another 150 quid, this Corrado is costing me a bomb..

Its worth it though..

Im hoping to have the next phase of mods done for Stonor.

See you next Sunday..

What kind of skills do you need to fit these?

Im planning on changing the suspension and front brakes soon and thought it''d be a good time to change the engine mounts too?

Andy

Easy job, not really something that you'd do alongside suspension/brakes tho, totally seperate thing to do.

What kind of skills do you need to fit these?

Im planning on changing the suspension and front brakes soon and thought it''d be a good time to change the engine mounts too?

Andy

It's always a good time to change your engine mounts, we all have old cars now and if they're the original ones you have they'll be well past their sell by date. As xbones said it's pretty much a stand alone job if suspension and brakes is where you're at, although if you've got the car on axle stands and the tools out, you may as well crack on with anything that needs doing.