Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

My latest mod' on the VR6

Following on from this article in Wiki, just thought i'd post up the pictures of the mod i did recently incase it helps anyone thinking of doing the same thing. Took longer than i thought it would take, but am well pleased with the results. Anyone about to do it, PM me if you want any tips / pointers etc.

Photo-0101.jpg

Photo-0102.jpg

Photo-0103.jpg

Photo-0104.jpg

Photo-0105.jpg

Photo-0106.jpg

Photo-0107-1.jpg

Photo-0108-1.jpg

Photo-0109.jpg

Photo-0110.jpg

Looks superb mate! I have just got the passat stuff in mine and its very dim and doesnt light up the whole way round :roll:

Shame about that bloody middle control being green though!

I love red liquorice!

good solution to getting those pesky controls the same colour as the DDI dials though

I just have a couple of things outstanding to do now (lighter ring and dials), but apart from them, all the switches and controls in the car are now red. The hardest LED swap was the sunroof switch and the mirror controls.

The only thing that isnt red is the gear knob, but that fortunately matches the stereo so its all red with a bit of blue.

Looking good pal. How did you keep the EL wire down in its place? I've got a similar kit just struggling to keep the spagehtti from moving everywhere. Plus, have you hard wired it in or just plugged it in to the ciggie lighter socket? When i first laid the wire down the panel wouldnt fit on top of the controls again because of the wire thickness.

Looking good pal. How did you keep the EL wire down in its place? I've got a similar kit just struggling to keep the spagehtti from moving everywhere.

I used the superglue stuff that came with it, and bought some epoxy resin and literally glued about an inch at a time. Waited for it to dry solid, then the next inch and so on. Thats why it took soooo long to do, cos of the waiting in between.

Plus, have you hard wired it in or just plugged it in to the ciggie lighter socket?

Hard wired it in to the rear of the lighter socket.

When i first laid the wire down the panel wouldnt fit on top of the controls again because of the wire thickness.

You need to cut small parts of the plastic off from the heater control near to the corners when you offer the cover thing back onto it.

I love your knob as well....

:lol: :lol: :lol: (Way too many childish lines to list in response to that comment)

Seriously tho, thanks. I got it from a seller on eBay ages ago. I really should have gone for the red, but just liked the cool blue alot better, and thankfully the head unit has a blue/red combination so i have just about got away with it, otherwise it would have looked really out of place.

how you doin Zippy? Are you going to the summer scorcher?

It wasnt really that much of a mission. I left the cable extra long on the back so that you can pull it all through and still have the panel "loose" so to speak.

The earth cable was obviously straight forward, and the live was just a thin wire going to the ciggy lighter terminal thing, so not really all that much of a mission.

Cool. Im going to get me some Blue cable then to compliment my dials.

Reckon the summer scorcher will be a giggle. So should see you there.