Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Windscreen wiper mod

When the corrado club website was available there was a document about modifying the original windscreen wipers so they put more pressure onto the windscreen and so actually move some water. I did this mod at the weekend, and with the shi*e weather we've been having it's a massive improvement.

If you take the windscreen wipers off the car the spring at the hinge pulls them flat. If you hinge the wiper arms up there are 2 stops cast into the base part which limit how far the arm can travel towards the windscreen. On mine i could see casting lines half way down the stops. Using a dremel I ground these stops down to the lines so the arm could travel further, then covered the bare metal with grease to stop rust.

I recon they are now as good as any other car I've had, and all it took was abit of time and no money. Sorted. 8)

Thanks for the tip and it is indeed a good one, but the majority of us have now gone over to the Lupo wiper mod, which is cheaper than the cost of a dremel :p

Kev

or just bend the wiper arm so it puts more pressure on the windscreen. thats what i did and its fine up to bout 80-85 mph!!!

True, forgot about the dremel. Bloody handy little tools, rusty exhaust clamps no problem, rounded allen key bolts can be made to fit a flat blade screwdriver. Got me out of a few little problems over the years.

True, forgot about the dremel. Bloody handy little tools, rusty exhaust clamps no problem, rounded allen key bolts can be made to fit a flat blade screwdriver. Got me out of a few little problems over the years.

Yeah they are good. Cheap copies have no where near the same amount of torque :lol:

They're great for polishing too!

Kev

I bought a set of second hand wipers which had been Dremeled by I believe Darren (G-man) and although they were a great improvement on the stock wipers when I changed to the Lupo GTI wipers I could not believe the difference ( blimely thats what a wet road looks like! ooh I can see that there is a roundabout coming up) Excellent MOD

Yeah me too - got kev's old ones and i added an extra washer to the spindle but the Lupo mod is worth every penny if you drive the C every day like I do!