Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Caddy Experts?

Hoping to get a van within the next 2 months and decided on a VW Caddy (Van, not pickup!)

Has anyone on here got any info/common faults etc, I've searched for a Caddy site but couldn't find one, not exactly common I suppose!

PS: If anyone see's a black Caddy for under £2k give me a shout! :)

Cheers!

i drive a 2001 caddy as a company vehicle and so far it has been very reliable, and i do 200 miles a day in it, its now on 108k and the only problems i have had with it have been the rear door handle which is a weak point (they corrode and break easily) and the spare wheel holder under the van which has broken (now keep the spare in the back)

not bad considering it has the living daylights thrashed out of it every day.

the one i drive now is just an SDI but the previous 2004 caddy i had was a TDI which was much quicker and will embarass a lot of boy racers off the lights, but still did pretty much the same MPG.

avoid the 1.4 petrol version, the fuel economy is shockingly bad compared to the diesels and they are no quicker, they also have a problem with weak gearboxes according to a friend who services the vans for a local company.

they are not very roomy in the back with the seperator fitted though, and it may give you a bit of a bad back after driving one for a couple of weeks until you get used to the seats which are not the most comfortable.

I've had the pleasure of driving a 2001 Caddy SDI for the last 8 months or so and can't really fault it tbh.

It gets thrashed for 90 km's or so every day and nothings broken so far (touch wood) and I haven't even had to top up the oil once. It is also fairly nippy too (once you get used to it I guess).

One of the plugs is a git to change though as the fuel pump is in the way of it, but other than it's easy to work on and cheap to service.

Hope that helps a little.

Dutch