Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

Boxter S - I take it all back!

Up until yesterday I've always been a bit of a porsche snob when it came to boxters - 'just because you cant afford the 911' type of thing.

I have to say I fully retract any previous such statements I've made. A good mate of mine has just bought a pre-facelift boxter s in some unusual green colour (special order apparently?) with tan leather, lowered, 911 turbo wheels and a 'chip'. Not only does it look amazing, it sounds fantastic and goes like stink! The previous owner had it dyno'd at 303bhp and it certainly is fully capable of making the most of that power. A countryside blast with the roof down yesterday was probably one of the finest passenger experiences I've had to date, we weren't hanging about but the boxter just oozed balance, poise and confidence inspiring grip. pretty much anything my mate threw at it, it took in its stride and coped with without any complaints

awesome cars, I'm utterly in love :lol:

glad you've seen the light :lol: I am a total Porsche fan and wouldn't complain at owning any model (although if I was given a Cayenne, I'd sell it to buy a 911 lol). I've only driven std Boxsters and I have to say I much preferred the Cayman but your mate's car sounds like loads of fun. Nice one - will he let you drive?!

Happy Birthday scarlet_vr6! :D

I just spotted that too.

Have a good one Fay!

thanks Rob. My present was a BMC (got fitted last weekend and very chuffed) and I'm just off out so it can sing to me lol. I'm just about to rent a garage for my C too. All is good!

sorry chrishill, for a bit :offtopic1: !!

edit: thanks Tom!

I much preferred the Cayman but your mate's car sounds like loads of fun. Nice one - will he let you drive?!

:lol: will he hell, I did ask but he's more protective over it than he would be of a new-born baby and he knows how I drive

:twisted:

I prefer the looks of the Cayman too, in all honesty I think its nicer than the new 911's

Happy birthday by the way!

This is my fear.. I don't think I should ever go in a Porsche as I know i'll fall in love with it! And then i'll be trying to find ways of affording it!

the Boxster has an image problem and this wee problem,as no matter how good the Boxster drives,what would you rather have sitting in the garage?.....a Boxster or a 911........I chose a 911........I looked at a 987 S/Cayman S but at the end of the day the 911 is just a pure Icon

vr6storm, that is the problem, id rather spend 18k on an older 911 than a boxster.

In standard form the S is okay, but i wouldnt say that it has a big wow factor..

having been lucky enough to drive all the range, I reckon as a driving experience the 911 is just way out there. You'd have to be a prety good driver to tame that beast, and even with the PASM and goodies you would still be wary of sticking 70Ks worth backwards into a ditch. As a driving experience it is awe inspiring.

Cayenne, Well it can be forgiven its hideous looks due to the simple fact it singlehandedly saved Porsche from the scrapheap.

However the setup of the Boxster / Cayman is much more instantly rewarding. Corners and cambers make for spine tingling sensations and seem to mask any lack in driver tallent, but, get someone who realy knows what they are doing and for my money the Porsche range has the competition licked.