Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

VR6 rear caliper carrier/guide pins

Found today that one of these guide pins had seized absolutely solid in the carrier, causing the inner pad to wear down to the metal while the outer pad is almost like new. Only MOT'd it last month at a reputable garage and they failed to notice the lack of pad! :x

Weird thing is that the discs & pads are only a couple of years old, the guide pin rubbers were totally intact so it looks like some muppet has cleaned the guide pins bone dry and re-assembed without using the special grease, or any form of lube at all!

Does anyone know where I can get a new (or used) Vr6 rear carrier & guide pins other than VW? ECP, AVS & GSF don't list them, VW will no doubt have to order them in, and ideally I need them for tomorrow(tue) so I can get back on the road. I'm in manchester btw.

Cheers.

Found today that one of these guide pins had seized absolutely solid in the carrier, causing the inner pad to wear down to the metal while the outer pad is almost like new. Only MOT'd it last month at a reputable garage and they failed to notice the lack of pad! :x

Weird thing is that the discs & pads are only a couple of years old, the guide pin rubbers were totally intact so it looks like some muppet has cleaned the guide pins bone dry and re-assembed without using the special grease, or any form of lube at all!

Does anyone know where I can get a new (or used) Vr6 rear carrier & guide pins other than VW? ECP, AVS & GSF don't list them, VW will no doubt have to order them in, and ideally I need them for tomorrow(tue) so I can get back on the road. I'm in manchester btw.

Cheers.

I'm afraid that you can't get the pins. I've tried recently. They only come with new caliper carriers, which are quite a lot of money...

I also encountered a pin rusted into the carrier on a car and as you say it had to be some gimp reassembling it without any lube.

It might be worth rying to get some second hand pins from someone who is breaking a car. but you don't know how well they will fit your carriers...

Good luck!

Have managed to find a source for the carrier (Brakes International in Rochdale) but it doesn't come with the slider pins and they don't sell them seperately.

Must be somewhere that sells slider pins, otherwise I'll have to look round the breakers.

Only just got the car back on the road!

I managed to get two slider pins off the rear of a passat in a scrapyard, and picked up the carrier from Brakes International for £16+VAT.

Then I managed to round off one of the carrier bolts, even when using a hex socket bit, so had so grind the bolt head off and remove the brake disc to get the carrier free! Then I found that the carrier cap-head bolts are not a standard M10 thread, they are a fine pitch (M10 x 1.25) which are not that easy to get hold of especially in cap-head form!

Yep always replace those Bolts (VW dealers will have in stock)- Irwin Bolt Grippers make an easy job of getting them off if rounded...

Yep always replace those Bolts (VW dealers will have in stock)- Irwin Bolt Grippers make an easy job of getting them off if rounded...

Or the likes of Halfords should have them on the shelf, you need to change them due to the threadlock, don't just chuck any old threadlock on as it is a specific loading for the bolt - you may not get them out again if you do.

I don't think you will find them in Halfords Yan, they are fairly specific with that thread pitch... also no threadlock on them...

I was told the stuff you see on the front bolts (that come with pads) is not threadlock either - it's an anti-seize compound...

Looks more like a threadlock to me Steve.

Thing being those bolts are fitted to mk IIs etc so I would expect to see a set in 'frauds with the blue gunk on them too.

Here you go, I got it ready...

No, that's Dom's he left it here the other week :oops:

:D Aye I was on about the carrier-to-hub bolts, but its a good point that the hex-head bolts that hold the caliper on should always be renewed, and should come supplied with a set of brake pads, if not, have a moan at the supplier and they usually can find a set of them in the back.