Sign in to follow this  
nickeboy

fan runs and runs when engine off

my corrado 93 vr6 has gremlins i think i went out the other night and the fans were still running about 2 hours after i had left it i though it wierd but left it, the next day the battery was flat? aftter a jump start the fan began to spin a bit stop etc, went to work turned of it carried on so i unplugged the fan switch on the rad, put it back on for the journey home stopped the car it ran a bit as normal then stopped. however it does seem to have the occational spinn throughout the day!!!!, could it be the sensor in the rad as if i take it of it does nothing!! any help much appricated

nick

replace the radiator sensor - had this 3 times and each time, that was the problem - Eurocarparts sensors are half the price of VW and are fine

alternatively, raid the scrappie as all vw sensors are one of 2 types - i collected 5 sensors from polo's and they've all worked fine in the rado :)

Sounds like the rad fan switch. My 16v did the same, replaced the sensor/switch and hey presto...fixed. Got mine from the Stealer, can't remember how much but might have been about £15ish

my corrado 93 vr6 has gremlins i think i went out the other night and the fans were still running about 2 hours after i had left it i though it wierd but left it, the next day the battery was flat? aftter a jump start the fan began to spin a bit stop etc, went to work turned of it carried on so i unplugged the fan switch on the rad, put it back on for the journey home stopped the car it ran a bit as normal then stopped. however it does seem to have the occational spinn throughout the day!!!!, could it be the sensor in the rad as if i take it of it does nothing!! any help much appricated

nick

My '92 VR has just started to do this too. Have already ordered a fan switch from Euro Car Parts. Will let you know how I get on.

The after run circuit is on a timer, it's only supposed to run for 10 minutes (I think) after ignition off, so no matter what the rad sensor says, the fans should stop.

I'm not certain where the timer circuit is, but I'd guess it's in the control module under the bonnet, the black box with three fuses in it.

Just to let you know, I replaced the radiator fan switch at the weekend and it sorted the problem. It was easier than I thought too as at first I thought it would be rad out job but I got to it by taking out the battery and using a deep socket over the switch.

It was a 10 min job and now my fan cuts in and out as it should :)