Sign in to follow this  
Jonny_L

Anyone know about kit cars?

I've been looking at my beetle project and It's started to dawn on me that it's getting beyond repair. The roof's rusted, both heater channels, footwells, inner wings etc.. You name it, it's rusted.

The chassis, however, is in good nick. I've put new floorpans in, all the brakes are new, decent suspension and a good engine.

I've been pondering the idea of turning it into a kit car. At first I thought of a beach buggy, but I've got my bike for fun stuff so a buggy would be a bit pointless I'm thinking.

Instead I've been looking at 356 Speedster kits. Can't think I'll ever afford a real one, any they're absolutely gorgeous cars 8) . I mean...

1138718352-pilgrimspeedster2.jpg

This is a Pilgrim kit car, dunno if they're any good or not. Just wondering if anyone's got any opinions, or knows of any other kits that would work on the beetle chassis at all?

If you're not up to much this weekend its the National Kit Car show at Stoneleigh near Coventry... bit of a drive up but its supposed to be fairly huge. If you can't find some ideas and inspiration there then you're a lost cause :)

I can vouch that the Stoneleigh show is a really good one. Chesil have a good stand there, their 356 speedster is my dream car. If I'm ever in a postition to run a 2nd car the Chesil will be it.

Ooh nice one, thanks for the heads up. I'm actually heading to Sheffield this weekend to visit a mate at uni so it's pretty perfect timing really. Will have to try and go there on the way back if I have time.

Leavon, do you know anything about Chesil prices at all? I sent them an email but don't really want to hassle them until I'm certain that it's something I want to do.

I used to have a price list knocking around seems to have gone astray, it varies greatly on the amount of parts you can supply, chassis, engine etc. I'm afraid I'm not very techie so my plan was always to buy a built up car from them, 17-20K depending on spec so I never paid a great deal of notice to the self build prices.

They'll send you a nice information pack with everything you need to know.

The basics are probably quite cheap, I think it's the accessorising that can really add up.

Well, I never got a chance to get there this weekend :( Was well looking forward to it, but I didn't have time in the end.

I'm off travelling soon so I'm gonna have to forget about it for a few months. Unless I find one in Europe somewhere, could be interesting.

I must admit though, I've spotted a buggy that I've just about fallen in love with. Their website's not working at the moment to link to the pic, but you can be arsed, and if it works, go to http://www.manxbuggies.co.uk , click gallery, then look at all the pics of the black one at the bottom. 8)

Beautiful.