Sign in to follow this  
cralstc

Audi engined?

Hey all,

I have come across a small dilema. I have recently found out that my 130,000KM VR6 engine has a leaking head gasket. So while I was looking for a decent garage that could do the work i came across a lot of garages that sell complete engines. Now weighing up the costs (remember I live in Dubai) it is almost the same to buy a used engine as to getting my current one fixed. Now i happened to come across a 3.2 V6 audi engine from an A3. It looks pretty much like the R32, see picture below.

04.audi.tt.3.2.eng.500.jpg

Now my question to you all is will it just drop straight in or will there be a need for modification to the mounting points???

Cheers!

Yup, it's the same as the R32.

You'll need to 'modify' (read bend a bit) the front engine mount to fit around the front crossmember and you'll also need a custom-made downpipe made that mates up to the Corrado exhaust.

Otherwise, it's mechanically speaking, a straight swap.

Electrically, you need to bodge the ECU and loom to make the thing run without the need for the Mk4 clocks and ignition barrel, but it can be done.

This is just what I've picked up tho - I haven't actually done it. Ask PhatVR6 or CoxyLad (might have more a's in his name at the mo - can't remember) if you want specific info because they've both done it.

Excellent start! Cheers guys.

I have the OBD1 VR6, I am guessing i will need to modify the loom slightly but it should be easy, as i believe all the sensors and senders for 1993 onwards were designed to send a digital signal. I should still be able to use the a3's ECU

I know of a couple metal workshops that create exhausts so maybe they can create a Manifold for me. Would it not be possible to either use the A3's manifold or corrado manifold and just modify it to fit? Obviously there is the worry of cracks at welds, but just a thought. Trying to save money.

It is funny you should say a couple of others have done it already as i have not been able to find any info on the conversion.

Thanks again.

You will need the loom and ECU from the A3, as it'll make your life a lot easier spicing it into the Corrado loom - there are quite a few more sensors on the A3 engine and they're in a different place on the engine too.

The Corrado manifold won't fit the A3 engine at all, you need to use the A3 manifold, the Corrado exhaust and get a downpipe to join the two made up. I'd imagine most exhaust places will be able to make you something up to fit though.

The tricky bit is drive-by-wire - If you want to get that working, then you'll also need to modify the pedal box to add a few sensors on it too.

Oh ok, so far i have made a list of possible hurdles;

-Exhaust manifold

-front engine mount

-complete electrical loom

-fly by wire

-???

Is the transmission the same? Can I continue to use the same cable transmission in the corrado.

I think I should also be able to incorporate the climate control system.

Yup, the Corrado VR6 gearbox bolts straight on.

Climate control is a whole other kettle of fish - I have a feeling that the AC compressor bracket and/or the subframe needs a bit of 'modifying' to get it to fit and wiring in Climatronic is a bunch of wiring fun.

I have also got a mocal oil cooler, any ideas if i can transplant it directly onto the A3 engine? I have never fitted it, I believe it just fits above the oil filter, so i think it should also be able to fit.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure i dont miss anything.

I think you can fit it, but really not sure with all the AC stuff.

You shouldn't need it with that engine though - they run much cooler than the old 12v

Just realised that the Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread just about covers all that is needed to know!!!!

Just realised that the Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread just about covers all that is needed to know!!!!

Make sure you read it all though as people change their minds and/or clarify things later on :)