Sign in to follow this  
pringles

close shave for me yesterday!

ok i know you should always expect the unexpected but nothing could have prepared me for this.

i was up 'Bembridge Down' here on the Island parked up on the cliff side watching the windsurfing competition with a lady friend ;).

anyway it was raining and the screen was a bit misty, i pulled away onto the cliff road and had got upto around 35-40 mph and put the heater on to clear the screen. rather that some nice heat and a clear screen we were both met with a face full of steam, not good at 40mph.

god knows how i managed to stop without going over the edge or up the bank, i couldnt see anything :crazyeyes:

turns out my heater matrix decided to expire just at the wrong moment (probably always the case :? ).

to cut a long story short, the AA man bypassed the heater system and recommended i get it replaced asap but it was ok to get me home.

phoned vw recall dept. this morning and it isnt covered by a recall :roll: but not too bad, just gonna go and pick a new heater matrix up off the hovercraft (£44 something from gsf)

gonna tackle it on monday but will be helped by some excellent threads about it by you guys so thanks :p

Arse. I'm sorry but VW are damn well liable for this as it's dangerous..grrrr

What if your eyes and legs had been scalded? VW would then have a lawsuit on their hands and that's why the MK2 Golfs were recalled quick sharp.

The other annoying thing is some dealers do it no questions asked and some tell you to bog off. What about continuity between dealer networks or can franchises opt out of company (VW) policies?

It's a 5 hour job mate so I hope you can bear doing it in this weather :?

I would kick up a stink and take it as far as possible first before digging into your pocket and time.

Kev

the matey at vw said some dealers did it as a good will gesture but not this far down the line :(

got a new matrix today but cant fit it til monday (my old duffer's gonna help as im crap with stuff like that!)

good job there is a guide on here about how to do it :)

What if your eyes and legs had been scalded? VW would then have a lawsuit on their hands and that's why the MK2 Golfs were recalled quick sharp.

As Kev says...

the fact that they did recall the mk2's for the same reason bassically incriminates VW!

You mentioned "Cliff" far to many times in ya post mate.

Its like a film were you think "he's gonna die", but then realise he couldn't have died if he is posting this thread :lol:

Thera

the matey at vw said some dealers did it as a good will gesture but not this far down the line :(

got a new matrix today but cant fit it til monday (my old duffer's gonna help as im crap with stuff like that!)

good job there is a guide on here about how to do it :)

OK mate, best of luck to you.

Looking on the bright side, it's a chance to remove the dash, tidy up all the wiring, sort rattles (if yours does) etc etc... And you'll learn an awful lot in the process :lol:

A tip for when you refill the coolant, fill via the radiator top hose and not via the expansion tank, otherwise you'll get an irratating air lock.

Kev

Well glad you survived. VAG certainly did a recall job on earlier(?) cars to fit cut off valves in the matrix pipes (engine side) in case of matrix failure. My '90 valver was called back for this. Presumably later cars had a 'better' matrix fitted so maybe don't have the cut off valves fitted; can't remember whether my VR has cut off valves on it or not and I'm nowhere near it so can't go and look.