Sign in to follow this  
jazzdevil

'Rocco advice required...

I've stumbled across a cheap Scirocco locally and just wondered if there are any issues/problems to keep an eye on above and beyond the usual car stuff...

it declares itself to be a 'rare GTi version' in the ad, albeit that the description then goes on to say it's a GTXi?!!?

the car looks generally very tidy and straight (always good i suppose :wink: ), but does note that it has 'a few small problems', such as failed heater control cable.

any info would be appreciated.

cheers folks!

declares itself to be a 'rare GTi version'

A mate of mine had a GTI, it was a 1.6 rather than the usual 1.8 that is fitted to most and IIRC it was a Y reg..

Not sure about colour availability but his was black with red trim and was lovely, got it with 30k on it in 1999, lucky git..

Hey what year is it?

The proper GTi model was short lived (I have an 82 Gti) and came with the same 1.8 as the Mk1 (external air-fed oil cooler) After that they used Mk2 1.8 inj engines and designated it a GTX IIRC with the GT's having Carb'd engines.

Usual things to look out for.. if it has a body kit (most do) rust in the arches and sills, the engine should be a K-jet if it's injection so pretty bullet proof. Steering racks can be a pain as all non PAS.. and electrics tend to wear with age...

But all the usual things you look for in a Rado will generally apply to a Rocco (except the spoiler and the VR6)... just remember it's another Karmann Parts bin special so expect not only Skyrocket only bits, but Mk1&2 Golf and Passat.

Hi jazzdevil I used to be the proud owner of Scala Scirocco which is the Mk2 with the 138bhp GTI engine, if it's one of those then I suppose in salesman speak it might be a 'rare GTi version', there aren't that many around. It was an awesome car for the money but the heater controls were also knackered on mine, I never got round to doing the job but compared to my Corrado it looks like a simple job.

it's a 1989 and is definitely boot-badged as a GTX.

it has 128K on the clock and is completely standard bar a twin pipe sports exhaust - it's got to be worth a look as a a cheap little commuter car (over and above the VR)

nothing to explain whether it's the 1.6 or 1.8 engine... :roll:

Make sure you don't pay very much for it though! they're great cars but they just don't fetch any money at all.

Hi jazzdevil I used to be the proud owner of Scala Scirocco which is the Mk2 with the 138bhp GTI engine, if it's one of those then I suppose in salesman speak it might be a 'rare GTi version', there aren't that many around. It was an awesome car for the money but the heater controls were also knackered on mine, I never got round to doing the job but compared to my Corrado it looks like a simple job.

pretty sure the highest standard power Skyrocket available in the UK was the lhd S/O GTX 16v............the scala from memory started off with the 90bhp then got the 112bhp injection engine(or perhaps other way round)

A bloke where my bro works has a minter, all i know is its red (i dont know much about the rocco's). I asked him the usual questions, who's is it, what model is it etc etc. Typical of my brother he just grunted "i dunno". Useless child.

Make sure you don't pay very much for it though! they're great cars but they just don't fetch any money at all.

...which is just as well, given that I'd have to defend such a purchase against the missus!! :lol: