Sign in to follow this  
jslootweg

9a engine noise

I'm getting a ticking noise from around 3.5k to 4.5k rpm on acceleration. Its been there for a while but its getting louder. I first noticed it when i installed a KR cam, but this might be entirely unrelated.

Any ideas?

I'm getting a ticking noise from around 3.5k to 4.5k rpm on acceleration. Its been there for a while but its getting louder. I first noticed it when i installed a KR cam, but this might be entirely unrelated.

Any ideas?

Is it from the head?, if so, can you isolate it to a particular cylinder, long screwdriver pressed against the head will act like a stethoscope, listen to the end of the handle.

It could be a hydraulic tappet, do they make much noise at idle or when starting from cold?, hopefully it's not a valve or piston ring, is the power affected in any way?

Might be worth doing an oil change to see if it helps at all...or even change it once run it for a bit then change it again.

I did an oil change last weekend. Its hard to hear where its coming from, i can't hear it at idle, its only there when i'm driving. I have wound down the window but i can't really tell where its from. This morning it seemed like the noise only really appeared once the car was warmed up!

So it wont make the noise when you rev it on your driveway? therefore it only makes the noise under load? if so i'd be looking at the drivetrain....clutch, bearing, etc...

I haven't tried reving it on drive way as 4000rpm is quite noisy on a quiet street. I'll try it on the way home from work tonight and see if it does it. I'm wondering whether its my big end bearings or something like that, or if its more likely to be just the tappets getting more noisy at certain revs due to resonance or something. The power hasn't been effect at all, the engine still pulls like it always has.

OK well thats the first thing you need to do, then you should be able to locate where the noise is coming from....

Right have been doing a bit more "data gathering" so to speak. The ticking only happens when accelerating, it does not happen when there is no load on the engine. (i.e. in gear.). The ticking doesn't really speed up with engine revs like cam noise does. It speeds up a wee bit but not loads. Which makes me think it might be something on the auxiliary belt circuit making a racket. I took my old man out in the car with me and he couldn't really hear anything passenger side where it was audible on the drivers side. This possibly confirms my suspicions. Is there anything that could possibly be making a "ticking" noise that is driven via one of the aux belts? If so, any tips on diagnosing what it could be.

Cheers for your help peeps

Possibly bearings in the water and PAS pump.....both belts are only a couple of quid each, might be worth changing them....you'll then be able to rotate both pumps by hand to see if there's any play.

Well its not that silly actually, the noise only ever occurs when the engine is hot, me and my dad where thinking it could be the exhaust but we thought it was more probable to be a rotational part. I've not really looked around the down pipe on my car, is there a heat shield like on the cat? or are you refering to the metal plate which runs down the back of the bulkhead in the engine bay?

Interesting..... i'll whip off the belts at the weekend and have a look, cheers for your input!!

you can run a cool engine for a while with the aux belts off, that would narrow it down maybe.

Right I left this noise alone for the last month as I have been off work with a dislocate shoulder so i haven't been able to work on the car. Anyway, this noise has got worse now. Its louder and does it when you rev the car stationary and out of gear. Can't pin point where abouts in the engine it is because the engine gets too loud to know for sure, but i'm pretty sure its louder when your head is near the drivers side front wheel arch!

mate, if you want to pop by sunday pm or one evening I'll have a listen/look at it for you, offers there if you want, I'm only down the road.

David.

I'm busy working the british GP this weekend, I could pop over 1 night next week or leave it till the following weekend. Its driving my nuts at the moment I just wish i had some time to actually just do an engine re-build!

just pm me when closer to the time when you're free, perhaps next week then, one evening after 6 would be good - rain permitting!

Ok will do. I have an old pm with you mob number in. But i'll let you know a night. But it will probably be wednesday.

I'm pretty sure, when I put the KR cams in i lined up the engine to TDC using the mark on the fly wheel. But it could be out i suppose.

any joy mate? ive fitted my kr and im getting a lot of gurgling and popping from the engine? do you mind me asking what you work for at the brisih GP?

I just work up there helping out for a bit of extra cash. I mostly just help move things about and stuff like that. Its good though because I get to see some cool cars and meet some interesting people.

Anyways, the cams are fairly easy to time up. Get the engine at TDC by looking at the flywheel by removing the black rubber bung. When the engine is at TDC there should be a little mark that lines up on the fly wheel. The remove the inlet manifold and and gubbins. Then remove the cam cover. If you look on the cams (chain end) there should be a circle on each cam sprocket. These circles must both line up with the top of the cylinder head and must both be facing each other. If thats is right and the engine is still at TDC then you have a problem somewhere else.