Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

16"s vs 17"s on track?

I had the car out for an hour on track at Knockhill yesterday - loved every minute! The Corrado wasn't too bad at all - could do with stiffer springs and stronger brakes, the tyres did great (Yoko 539s) and it held composure well and felt well balanced. The Leda suspension is great - very pleased with it.

On topic - one thing I knew before going on and was confirmed when on track - the standard g60 280mm brakes aren't powerful enough for my liking. I'm running Zimmerman discs and Pagid fast road pads. I am going to try changing the fluid, servo and one way valve/pipe and perhaps try different pads. Anyone tried the Ferodo DS3000's?

My main question was - I'm running 16" Borbets at the moment that have limited clearance for larger brakes. I'm looking at the g60 AP Racing kit long term - which narrows down what wheels can be used. Options are 17" 7.5" RC's with 8mm spacers on the front - or 16" Comp MOs (no spacers needed).

1) Any others people would suggest or know that fits?

2) What are peoples opinions and experience of 17"s vs 16"s fitted to a Corrado on track?

I've looked at Wilwoods - but they need dust sealed too - so ruled out.

As always - help appreciated :D

dunno about wheels etc, but go for Silicon fluid.. I had it in all my air-cooleds and my SkyRocket give better brake performance as it feels less spongy under braking... if taht makes sense...

Downside is that it v.v.vhydroscopic so needs to be changed frquently and can't be mixed with normal fluid either..

buy the 17"s and fit some proper brakes. APs being an excellent choice.

280's are a joke on the road never mind the track.

I'd take a safe bet that most people on here have never driven on a track anyway so what would they know....

Ah someone! Thankyou!

Done a bit of research - not bought by Wilwoods, Hi-Spec or CompBrake. APs get positive feedback from everyone it seems. Appear to be worth the money in the long run.

Fitting the RCs means 8mm spacers - the H&R spacers bolt directly to the hub, the wheels to the spacer - reckon thats fine for track abuse? I'm preparing to get a lot of track time in this summer - and indeed for the duration I own the car.

As for wheels - also been looking at Oz Superturismos. What tyres are you running on your 17s? Using 215/40/16 Yokohama 539s on mine - seems pretty good - but not compared to softer rubber.

While I'm at it :) - how have you found your Ledas?