Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Rocker cover gasket

Ive got a fairly bad oil leak coming from the rocker cover on the cam belt side. In fact I have oil leaking onto my belts and inside the cover.

I think its a combination of problems steming from the wrong oil cap to the RC gasket itself.

I was told to go for a cork rocker cover gasket - has anyone got a part no on this? are they more effective than the rubber ones?

This will be the 3rd RC gasket change in as many years, I have a feeling its the half moon seal or perhaps the gasket is pinched on the inside edge. At this stage its very frustrating no to mind messy.

It could also be the cam seal itself but I changed this a couple of yrs back and didnt notice much of a leak at the time.

You can't get a cork gasket for a 16v and if you could, they would be as cr@p as they are on the 8v. Check the cover isn't distorted but what you describe makes me think you have a leaking cam seal.

16v cam cover seals always seem to leak, apparently it's the curved sections and half moons that are usually the problem and a bit of silicon sealant here when fitting can help, some manufacturers even specify this for some cars seals.

I've done 3 recently and the last fit is the best but still not 100% perfect, VAG OEM seals are no better than FEBI etc...

be careful not to over torque the little 10mm bolts, it just squeezes the seals out, I do them lightly nipped up with a blob of loctite on the threads.