Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Headlight/MOT problem.......with pics

My car failed its MOT a few months back and has been off the road since having various things sorted. Anyway, it failed on the headlights, and with these being battered i've bought a second set.

So i have these good condition headlights, and some brand new philips bulbs (those ones that had that poop hot right up a while ago). Anyway, took it for the mot today and ive been told i have no headlight pattern. Instead of getting the pattern he showed me in the book i've got "a big round blob" (his words). Now, i was told this with one of the previous headlights too. So ive now tried 2 sets of bulbs and two sets of headlights, and im still getting the blob.

Here are some pictures of my headlights. Can anyone please please help me. I think im gonna have to buy some brand new ones anyway, as the left hand one only has one of the clips underneath intact, and so isn't secured in place and i was failed on that too.

DSCN2631.jpg

DSCN2632.jpg

DSCN2633.jpg

DSCN2634.jpg

DSCN2635.jpg

DSCN2636.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated!!

tbh they look is very good condition usual reason rado's fail on light its the silver reflective stuff has had its day and the light beam quality is cack, but those look fine and shouldnt be a prob.

i'd get it mot'd somewhere decent

Hi.

Looking at those pictures I'd say the reflector has been sprayed with Silver spary paint. The inner reflector should be as shiny as the outer.

The reflector will wear due to age and heat but that level of dullness is far to even for wear.

Even if the reflector is a bit worn the lights will pass.

See these shots I just took.

Sadly I went through 3 lens's last week. Err yes I did have a lot of spares. All 3 were the Pass side. Stones of wagons on the M60. :mad:

As you can see the reflector is really worn. Its been sitting in the damp of the shed for near a year but it did pass no prob last year. You can see how shiny it should be.

Yup...definitely been sprayed by the looks of it, it's far too dull to be the original finish! :(

Was looking into getting the reflectors on mine re-finished properly a year or so back, and it turns out that it's not really worthwhile, and very difficult to find someone who can actually do it!

Agree with the others- they've been sprayed :( Should be a mirror-like finish.

Ah bugger!! These cost me £100 too, and from the sounds of things i wont be able to re-sell them now!

Next question is, where can i get a decent set from? The left one on these only has 1 of the clips on underneath, so doesnt even secure itself when screwed in, so i was failed on it being loose too.

There's a link somewhere on here to a German site, I think, selling just the reflectors, so you could simply replace those. If they're early headlights though, they're not that expensive from the dealers. Or if later, and your lenses are okay, you could buy early ones and swap the glasswork over. The mirror reflectors are super fragile though, don't touch 'em...

I think i'll just buy some new ones, that way i'll have everything 100% as it should be. Besides, need to get it back in for the retest within 2 weeks

By the way, thanks very much for the help guys, without this site i'd be in trouble, on a number of occasions now, much love :)

Next question, where to get some from?

From the site above they're 193euros each, and my local stealer wants £90 a side! At least i dont own a later model, they're £175 a side.

Can anyone buy a set cheaper on my behalf?

I need to get these sorted asap as they're holding up the MOT.

Or does anyone have a set for sale? Although they MUST have ALL the clips and everything in place, and the reflectors must be intact.

Cheers for any help again.

You should just be able to buy the reflectors by themselves? Or is that what you're talking about that costs £90 a side..?

I could just buy the reflectors, but the left hand side has one of the lower clips snapped, so that doesnt secure properly, so i'll need a full new left hand headlight.