Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

MPG

At the moment ive done about 205miles out of a full tank, the needle is now almost on the red, what can i expect to get from the reserve?? another post said 50 miles, but i just wanna verify this as i dont wanna run out of fuel!!! :x

The current MPG works out at about 16.5mpg, this is pretty bad! any ideas what could be wrong?? This has been the best MPG i have achieved, but admitley this time was a lot less town driving and have been trying to keep the revs down (v hard on a 16v :lol: )

its a 1.8 16v with a 123k on the clock, hasnt had a service for a while (20k) could be something to do with it??

thanks in advance guys!!

At the moment ive done about 205miles out of a full tank, the needle is now almost on the red, what can i expect to get from the reserve?? another post said 50 miles, but i just wanna verify this as i dont wanna run out of fuel!!! :x

The current MPG works out at about 16.5mpg, this is pretty bad! any ideas what could be wrong?? This has been the best MPG i have achieved, but admitley this time was a lot less town driving and have been trying to keep the revs down (v hard on a 16v :lol: )

its a 1.8 16v with a 123k on the clock, hasnt had a service for a while (20k) could be something to do with it??

thanks in advance guys!!

right first off if it starts going into the red then you should be filling up asap.....letting the pump suck the dregs of the tank isn't the best idea as its bad for it

and if it hasn't been serviced in approx 20k miles you should get this sorted out asap the very least a 16v should need is a oil and filter change every 10k miles/12 months.........

also have you checked when it last had a timing belt changed......cos going by service schedule :shock: your car is under this might be on borrowed time :shock:

ive checked the timing belt it looks fine and new, but i have a new one, its just finding the time and money to take it to a garage!

thanks for the reply, i thought it was an old wives that when your in red the pump sucks in dregs, aint that what the fuel filters for??

also culd the oil and filter change be something to do with it?? oil consumption is a bit high, every 300miles or so have to top it up a tiny bit! would a oil and filter change remedy this??

ive checked the timing belt it looks fine and new, but i have a new one, its just finding the time and money to take it to a garage!

thanks for the reply, i thought it was an old wives that when your in red the pump sucks in dregs, aint that what the fuel filters for??

also culd the oil and filter change be something to do with it?? oil consumption is a bit high, every 300miles or so have to top it up a tiny bit! would a oil and filter change remedy this??

well IIRC the fuel pump is before the filter so the pump will have any dregs going through it into the filter also the fuel filter ideally should be changed every 20k miles AFAIK to keep the fuel system in tip-top condition.......the key here is preventative maintanence

as for your oil consumption it depends on what you class as a tiny bit.....going by the miles on your engine it could be burning some oil as if its not been serviced in 20k miles then its going to take its toll on the engine especially such a high reving engine as the 1.8 16v

I think the only way to fix 16.5 mpg on a 1.8 16v is to find the fuel leak!!!

of course it depends how joebrent is getting this 16.5mpg figure :wink:

as if his guage is reading right and he's just into the red then he should have approx 7 litres of fuel left so if you work out 205 miles with say 11gals used ......you get 18.6 mpg

I always run the tank from full to just about touching the red, when i do this it always takes 50 L +- 1 ba hair (ball for southerners). I always reset the trip at fill up and i normally get about 300 miles to the tank, this has been as high as 360 and as low as 280. MFA normally shows 23-28mpg but doing the maths (plural ya yankee gits) on the numbers it works out at about 28-34 mpg. This is a 16v 1.8 88k on the clock and i drive it reasonably hard with a fair bit of town driving.

Im gona get it serviced soon, and try and drive more slowly :lol:

hopefully that will sort it out, she is old though 1989 with 123k!!!! apart from the mpg shes lovely!!! check out my pics!!!

Those MPG figures are actually slightly worse than I got out of my VR6 around bruntingthorpe... :shock:

But I have to say, if you start the VR cold, and get stuck in traffic immediately, it's not hard to see "6mpg" on the MFA!!

Due to the fact that the MFA MPG is an average over the distance travelled you will not get a precise reading of fuel consumption unless you drive at a steady speed (60mph) for a considerable distance.

I took my car to AmD which is about 60 miles from my home, stayed at 60mph for the length of the journey (as well as possible) and ended up with a reading of 38MPG. As I said this is an average so the last few miles could have been running at 40MPG.

If you drive with your foot to the floor often then you will get quite disturbing MPG, even so 16-17MPG is not good.

I have fitted an Eco-Tec CB-26P to my engine and that combined with the Schrick VSR gives me great MPG (when driving well).

There could be a possible fault with the ECU?

Might wanna get a diagnostic test on it, I just had a new lamda sensor fitted improved my MPG by about 30% My VR6 on a run will hit early to mid 30MPG 112000 miles

i'll soecond that my vr will drop very quickly to around 6 when started from cold and i live in town so most of time i'm watching my needle drop but once i'm out of town and not giveing it loads i get 28 30 which is better than my 1.8 16v i only got 17 to 23 even on a run bizarre but true happy motoring :D

"well IIRC the fuel pump is before the filter so the pump will have any dregs going through it into the filter also the fuel filter ideally should be changed every 20k miles AFAIK to keep the fuel system in tip-top condition.......the key here is preventative maintanence"

Havn't had the fuel filter changed my 16v for 30k, not because I don't want to - but every garage I go to says they risk fracturing the fuel line (fuel line/ filter connections rusted and fused together) Without replacing the whole fuel line anyone got any experience/ suggestions. :?:

Incidentally i get town - 17mpg, if steady 60mph ish then low 30'smpg, and motorway 28mpg. Only mods to air box and K&N. Might get a bit less mpg with a new filter :wink:

fuel pickup is at the bottom of the tank, so the main worry when running dry is anything floating on the surface of the fuel, not really at the bottom of the tank. Fuel filter on mine is stil original at 132,000 miles and no problems at all.

I'd say such poor fuel economy could be down to injectors not spraying properly or the cold start injector leaking all the time instead of only operating at cold startup.

have your emissions checked and check things like plugs, leads, rotor arm, dizzy cap.

If for some reason the timing has not been set correctly, or the timing belt is out a tooth or two you can get poor performance ehich leads to driving with a heavier right foot and horrible fuel economy.

To give you an idea, even when driving with a mixture of steady 60/70 and hard driving, my 2.016v, which is a 1.8 engine bored out, never gives me less than 29 mpg, I usually average 33 ish and MFA reads 42/43 at a steady 60. Reads about 37/38 at a steady 70-80 on the m-way. The mpg of 29+(more regularly 33+) mpg is from tank to tank and not just what the MFA says, although it's rarely out by more than 2 or 3 mpg over a whole tankful.

In short, you should be getting much better mpg unless you never get out of second gear! Get everything checked over fully :)

David.

"well IIRC the fuel pump is before the filter so the pump will have any dregs going through it into the filter also the fuel filter ideally should be changed every 20k miles AFAIK to keep the fuel system in tip-top condition.......the key here is preventative maintanence"

Havn't had the fuel filter changed my 16v for 30k, not because I don't want to - but every garage I go to says they risk fracturing the fuel line (fuel line/ filter connections rusted and fused together) Without replacing the whole fuel line anyone got any experience/ suggestions. :?:

Incidentally i get town - 17mpg, if steady 60mph ish then low 30'smpg, and motorway 28mpg. Only mods to air box and K&N. Might get a bit less mpg with a new filter :wink:

i get very low mpg reading too........around 220 miles from a full tank.......used to get about 350miles........so somethings wrong, just had it servcie and will see if its helped...........129K

i get 200 out of a full tank and im gettin well anoyed!!

My mates EVO 1 has the same size tank and he can get bout the same mpg as me!

the thinkgs i have benn told are check emisions and timing!! and it you have a performance exhaust or filter or even both it will need a set up!!

16.5 mpg is worrying :? Worst I've got in the VR is 18.8, worst in the 16v was about 22- best was 49!

Get it serviced asap!