Sign in to follow this  
BlueVR6

Starting/Idle Problems

Hi,

I have a 94 VR6 Corrado and the car was running as usual intil this morning when i went out to start it. When i turned it over it went out with a bang (which i suspect was the car back firing) and it just died. Now when i turn it over it starts but instantly cuts out again.

Anybody got any ideas what the problem could be?

Cheers

Mike

Hi,

Cheers for the advice!!

I went out and checked the C again this morning and gave it another turn over and the same thing happened again, went out with a bang and cut out!!! :(

Checked all the fuses, they were ok. I tried taking off the MAF plug to see if this would help, but just the same.

I was wondering if it could possible be the Lambda sensor? If so is this connected directly onto the CAT and is there anyway i could disconnet it with out putting it up on a ramp, this to rule this sensor out.

Is your car dizzy or coilpack?

Lambda sensor would not cause a problem like that,but dampness on the pack or in the dizzy cap could cause this? Can you hear your fuel pump prime?

Do basics first,check for spark and fuel(responsibly)

Im not to sure to be honest with you, how can i tell the differece between a dizzy and coil pack, its a 94 plate so does this give any clues or does it depend from car to car.

Can hear the fuel pump and its only 1 year old so that should be fine.

Think spark is fine as well, cos when i rev the engine upto about 3000-4000 rpm it runs, granted not very well but it does run. As soon as i take the foot of the pedal though it just cuts out.

Cheers

Mike

Blown up the ISV damper perhaps?

Black pot next to the ISV with two pipes connected to it, in case you didn't know.

Ok,

Think I've found the problem but need a little help with what this part actually is, and what exactly it does. It is a small black cylinder that is attached to the air in take and mounted on the back (close to) of the cylinder head, is this the ISV damper? I have attached a photo to help if my description is a little vague.

As you can see from the photo it is cracked. What would cause this to crack/blow? Could it just be wear and tare?

Another thing, where exactly is the ISV? I was thinking about giving it a clean to help the idling, would people recommend this?

Exactly what it says on the tin- it stabilizes the idle. Giving it a clean can help, try some carb cleaner on it. But as already said, it doesnt sound like its that that's the problem.

Cheers,

Any idea what the part is in the photo? The part with the two pipes connected into it which has cracked.

Cheers bud,

You reckon if i get a new ISV Damper fitted that should be me away and hopefully thats all it was?

Well tbh, id go with the checking the coilpack/dizzy first. If its a 94 it should have a coilpack- black box on the side of the block (battery side) has the ignition leads going into it. Or VR6, who knows his stuff i might add, said it could be a knackered ISV Damper.

If the damper has cracked, that would defo stall the car and make the sound you describe. Something similar happened with mine- the sponge inside was sucked into one of the hoses. It kept stalling and making a popping sound.

You can just remove it completely and use a piece of hose instead- much cheaper than buying the new part and works just as well. Basically there is a hose that goes from the back of the head to the damper. Then there is a hose from the damper to the ISV. Just remove the damper and it's hoses, and connect a hose from the ISV to the back of the head.

The ISV is located at the bottom of your pic- you can see it poking out from under the black plastic engine cover. Has the two hoses going to it and an electrical plug. You can just about get to it, but it's much easier to remove the engine cover/lead holder first. Remove it and soak in carb cleaner for as long as you can. A good shake will help. Use a screwdriver to gently open the shutter inside to make sure it hasn't siezed. Tip out carb cleaner, bit of WD40 and refit ;)

Woohoo!!!

Cheers people, allot of black insulating tape holding the ISV dampener together and the VR6 flys again!!!

I will get the proper fix tomorrow, but at least i'll be able to drive over and get it from the stealer.

Cheers agian!!!

Hey,

Sorry CazzaVR just got your reply after i sent my one.

When you say the sponge gets "sucked in" where does it get sucked into? Does this mean i need to remove the ISV and try find the sponge?

Cheers again!!!

The sponge is supposed to be in the damper pot, but on mine, it had got sucked into one of the damper pot hoses. Just take off the hoses and make sure it's not stuck inone of them. Sounds OK though, as the car has stopped stalling.

Cool,

I'll check the hoses out tomorrow. There was some sponge still in the pot, but it did look like some was missing to be fair. Hopefully when it blew up the extra sponge flew out of the Damper rather than into the pipes. I guess i'll find out when i actually take the car out for a drive. As long as the sponge doesn't go somewhere where it isn't meant to.

Cheers for the help again.

This has happened on mine several times, so hope this is just a one off with yours! mine is a 94 car, but a 95 model year, every now and again i get the bang when it starts, which either blows the damper to pieces, or if the idle valve is shut, it knackers the ISV, found it handy to keep one of each in stock now!

Please let me know if it happens again to yours, as i can fix mine when it happens, but i would love to find out why it happened to stop it doing it again!