Sign in to follow this  
Ollie_86

ABS Light

Just wondering if anyone can help, I have a Rado VR6 and the ABS light comes one intermittently. Have taken it to VAG for diagnostics and they think it's the ABS pump but aren't sure. With a car of this age though, could it be the wiring? And if not does anyone know of of where to get an ABS pump as VAG want £1873 for one!

Cheers

Ollie

Sounds like a dodgy connection to me. If there was a problem with the pump, or an error in the system itself the light would continuously stay on.

Don't buy anything until you get an error code indicating what the fault is. Typical VW trying to fleece you for the most expensive possibility. It could be a wheel sensor, which is only around £25.

If you do need a pump though, i got mine from a VW breakers in Kent for £130.

Cheers

Steve

Pretty sure early VR's had a different pump. Think Ollie's is a 96, so could well be different.

All Corrado VR6s had the same ABS pump unit.

Not true... Some early VR6's had part no. 358 614 217 fitted, but most later VR's came with part no. 1H2 614 217A. There is quite a big difference in appearance. I had to replace mine several years back and had to go through all the confusion.

Always worth checking the part numbers.....

Going back on topic though, i very much doubt it's the pump thats causing the original problem.

ollie not sure if you knew, but you can plug into VAG-COM to see what is at fault. Try to find a local friend/garage that will plug you into this diagnostic check, as VW want too much money for that.

I had a flickering light in a rare while that eventually become a constant light, therefore indicating a real fault. VAG-COM gave me the answer and therefore I only need to replace the faulty part - ie the rear sensors.

It could be worth cleaning the faces of the actual sensors and ensuring the wire connections are ok too. Go easy on them as they can be delicate. GSF sell new sensors. And yes you need that problem solved before your next MOT.

Got the same problem with mine Ollie. Not had a chance to look in to it yet though, but most probably a faulty sensor as a few have already mentioned.

I have an ABS light that stays on continously on my VR6. I see from this and other threads that first port of call is to try cleaning the sensors. I've taken off the rear and front wheel to have a look but how do you actually go about cleaning them :scratch: What bits do you need to take off? Can anyone advise me thanks. Also where is the best palce to get new sensors if it should be necessary? Ebay have them at £29.99 for front and £59.99 for rear :shock:

Does anyone know a decent place with VAG-COM in the Lincoln area? Haven't been around here long so don't really know anyone

Cheers

Ollie,

Some of us have had similar symptoms as discussed in this thread. In my case it was a relay that was slowly dying. The VAG shops were unable to diagnose it correctly.

DJ

--

I've taken off the rear and front wheel to have a look but how do you actually go about cleaning them . What bits do you need to take off? Can anyone advise me thanks.

Also where is the best palce to get new sensors if it should be necessary? Ebay have them at £29.99 for front and £59.99 for rear :shock:

Best place to buy - GSF are about those prices and trustworthy, and often take returns.

Dont go buying a full set until you know which one is faulty, via vagcom.

As for how to find those sensors; with the car safely jacked, stick you head in there and look, lol. The rears are easy to see, the wire runs along the rear beam, on top, and seems to go into the back of the hub; you can feel it with your hand. Odd looking thing. Mine is totally stuck on, even with the nut taken out - so presume I need to take the hub off to give it a whack! You just want to clean them - its the face of the thing that needs a clean - some people say they just stuck a jet wash in there hoping everything got blasted out.

Does anyone know a decent place with VAG-COM in the Lincoln area? Haven't been around here long so don't really know anyone

Cheers

Not sure about your area.

Would be a good idea if we could start a sticky thread where people can state where they have found or own VAG-COM.

I know I found a guy in Nuneaton who has it and will choose to either charge a small amount or even plug in for free if you're going to get him to do the work.

hmm.. the force is weak in this one I feel; ability to use the search engine he has not; ovecome his abilities it has.

Brill, will scroll through to see who's local in future dilemas. (I really did use the search when I had my problem - just not the right words)

I had this problem, the light would come on now and again with no pattern to when it did. However once on it would stay on until I turned the ignition of and on again. Rarely would the light then come back on until the next time I used the car. It turned out to be the brake pedal position sensor which plugs into the base of the master cylinder and was about £60.