Sign in to follow this  
BenBenBen

New 1991 16v 1.8 Won't start!

Hi,

Just bought a corrado and having trouble startiny it. Had the plugs out and they all spark as do all the leads. The right hand cylinder seems to have really oily stuff all over it though and if i clean it off n put it back, turn it over and take it out again its covered again. The engine had too much oil in it and I have drained the excess but as I've not encountered this problem before I'm not sure what could be causing it.

Any ideas? :cry:

Er lots,

Are you getting fuel to the engine?

Is the fuel pump running when you put the key into the run position without turning it furthur on to the start position?

Is the timing correct?

Does it smell of fuel when you have cranked it a few times?

The engine should still fire on 3 cylinders, in fact a problem with some valvers is they only run on 3 when cold for a bit, so it should fire.

If the engine has been overfilled with oil it should not be too much of a problem as you have no CAT to kill.

I would also do a compression check accross all the cylinders, no 4 sounds like it is not too healthy.

Cheers man. I took an injector pipe off the (i presume its an injector pump) above the air filter and cranked the ignition but I though osme fuel would squirt out. It didn't. Could this be a knackered injector pump or am i just being an uneducated fool?

Cheers man. I took an injector pipe off the (i presume its an injector pump) above the air filter and cranked the ignition but I though osme fuel would squirt out. It didn't. Could this be a knackered injector pump or am i just being an uneducated fool?

The big widget on top of the air filter box is the fuel metering unit, be very careful which pipes you are removing as the system is capable of holding in excess of 3.5 bar for some time after the ignition has been switched off!!

As I said in my first post, get in the car, turn the key to the first position and listen, if you can't hear the fuel pump then it probably isnt working.

To check for fuel pressure then crack one of the pipes that comes from the fuel tank to the metering head, the pair of pipes attached to the offside inner arch are the supply and return from the fuel pump/tank. You want the black pipe not the blue one, being really careful wrap some wrag around the black fuel supply pipe where is connects to the metering head and crack the union slowly, if there is fuel supply this should spurt some fuel out.

I will say it again, 3.5 bar is a good amount of pressure so be careful!!

Also check the supply to the sparks,when i bought mine it wo'nt start either and i found that the plug from the dizzy to the spark plug leads was damp. maybe this will help

Cheers guys. I'll give that a go as soon as I get back form work this weekend!

Also anyone got any idea how mucha really good condition but v high mileage (180k) 1990 Corrado is worth?

Muchious Gracias

Cheers guys. I'll give that a go as soon as I get back form work this weekend!

Also anyone got any idea how mucha really good condition but v high mileage (180k) 1990 Corrado is worth?

Muchious Gracias

Have a flick through the search chap to see what the current prices are but it all comes down to condition although with that mileage in average condition I would not expect more than £500-750.