Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

amp testing?

i've had a little 2 channel amp in my c for a month or two now, and in that time i've blown 2 subs (one 2nd hand one new) a killed the tweeters in one of my 6x9's. I 'was' running it in tri mode when the first sub went, so for the second one i took the 6x9's off and just ran the sub, but it still blew.

I thought the first sub was faulty, but when the second one went and i noticed the 6x9's werent as they should be I relised it's probably the amp. I've just bought a new 4 cannel amp, and a new sub, and i dont want them to blow again! the only other thing it could be is the wiring, but i'm pretty sure thats ok. (both subs had RMS values above the RMS of the amp and i by no means abused them)

is there a way to test the amp/wiring to see whats going on? i really really dont want to blow the new stuff! i cant afford to keep distroying things!!

ok, of hand i would say it is because of the quality of the amp, my friend had a maystar QXT250 i'm its cheap and cheerfull but wont last for any amount of time, try spending a bit more money on a better amp like a Rockford Fosgate Power or Phoenix Gold, expensive but well worth it.. :D

It sounds to me if your amp are "outputting" (dc-voltage) to your speakers. This will defnitely fry them one by one. I am quite sure you have some blown component within the amp. This normally translates to mosfets but to be certain you have to test the amp...

maystar QXT250 i'm its cheap and cheerfull but wont last for any amount of time

:( so does that mean if i get another 'inexpensive' amp i run the risk of it all going t!ts up again? anything i can do to try and protect my speakers in the event of amp-meltdown?

No, some cheap amps are really good and if ventilated, even better... Just remember that like with a car engine heat is the biggest killer of electronical components and with a amp running a great load they get even hotter (more so when bridged)

Most expensive amps are more stabe under higher loads (good damping factor), better construction and layout, better heat dispensation etc etc...

I would say the golden rule.. Don't go lower than rated ohm, keep well ventilated, keep a eye on heat...This blows the components and can fry your speakers again....

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you can buy "cheap" amps with "DC Output Protection" on speaker outputs...

Just check the specs of the amp...