Sign in to follow this  
paddyg

does the fuel accumulator seperate from the pump & filte

Hi,

I'm trying to replace the fuel pump and associated accumulator in my 1.8 16v. I have just put in a new lift pump (also called the in-tank pump) and also a new fuel filter but I'm still having the same problem where the car becomes jumpy and juddery when I floor it in any gear. This usually happens aroung 3k-4k revs. Its like the engine is not getting enough fuel causing it to misfire or something.

Oddly, sometimes when i turn on the lights the problem disappears, although not always, but it could be misfiring and then switching on the lights might fix it? I cant explain this.

So anyway to my original question, does the fuel accumulator actually seperate from the fuel pump as it was pretty rusted and i cant open the nut connecting the two?

Yes, although the job of the accumulator is to ensure good starting behaviour when the engine has run, is still warm and needs to be restarted.

ok, but i still want to change it as it is the noisiest part of the fuel pump which you can hear over the engine noise! I think if changing over to a different fuel pump and accumulator doesnt fix my problem i will have to start looking at the MAF...

so i guess I need a hammer so and hit it a thump in the vice to get it open!!!

Cheers...