Sign in to follow this  
dirtytorque

g60 carbon build up on plugs

So my jreg g60 is a tad chuggy at the mo.(engine rocking around under the bonnet threating to stall at idle ,hesitation and flat spots at low revs till about 3k rpm).

It is running a 68mm pully.

I have cleaned the ISV as a few threads on here seemed to have success with that.Alas no good.

I decided to check the plugs(newley installed plat tips as per bentley manual).

The ends of the spark plugs are completely black with soot.

I have read that this could be down to...

air/fuel mixture too rich:

(I'm running a jabba sport chip).:roll:

weak ignition:

I have recenty changed the plugs,I guess I should maybe have changed the leads too?!???

Wrong heat range on plugs:

should i upgrade from the standard plugs to the W5DPO G40 spark plugs?

Thnks in advance.

First check CO. Should be 0.7 . If you dont know how just check some posts here. It affects mixture at idle and half throtle.

Do not change to W5DPO spark plugs. This are "hotter", meaning it will take them longer to get hot and thats not what you are looking for right now, although once you resolve this issue you should use them in hot wether and trackdays.

Leads may be a problem if they are to old but i would fisrt check and probably replace distribuiter rotor and cap. They are cheap if bought from a bosch dealer (not at VW).

Chip maybe overfueling but i would discard it to last.

How bad is idle? Maybe you have a vaccum boost leak or timing is to much retarded. But it would only turn your sparks black if you spend much time at idle, maybe city driving? - What you can do here is drive some miles in a highway at cruise speed, stop at a gas station and once engine is cold check spark plugs.

Thats it for now!

engine sounds worse 2day,and every now and then I get a kind of clatter sound coming from the top end,seems to be coming from near the timing belt area but I may be wrong.

:(

My precious C.

I will check the CO,just as soon as i figure out how.

thnks for feedback.

hi matey, get the bottom pulley checked as this is very symptomatic of the creeping bolt, and teh co pot for the jabba chip is likely to be anywhere between .5 and .7 and is unlikley to affect things that much even if its not bang on.

samg60,

Also it looks like the belt has shifted over to the left i.e towards the filter.

I can see more of the teeth underneath the belt than I could b4.

Does this back up what u were saying above?

question for everyone.

Have alot of u invested in gas analyser for your pet pride and joys?

Coz from what i have read in the manual and on the web etc you need one to check the CO content.!?

Sorry 4 the newbie questions.

ta.

Hi mate yes it does and movement in the belt suggest that the alignment is out and that the pulley may be shifting, If I were you I would whip the charger belt off and take the bottom pulley off and take a look at the crank pulley, you can do this without removing the cam belt shouldnt take longer than an hour or so.

wouldnt bother spending on a gas analyser, you will only need it once or twice, much better to just borrow it :-)

I found a post by flusted where apparently u can read the fuel mixtyure settings indirectly using a multimeter so that should give me something to do this weekend along with checking the pulleys....

I have found a spilt hose.

Between the fuel pressure regulator and air intake manifold,so fingers crossed this fix my running woes.

p.s

Is there a special tool to get those metal fastenings off.?

I used a dremel on the ones on my ISV but these ones are in a more arkward place.

samg60 if probs still persist what am I looking for with the crank pulley.Excessive play?

grazie.

I took off cam pulley cover ,jacked up car took off driver side wheel and had a good look at the pulleys.

Couldn't see much wrong.

Turn car over and let it run and couldn't see much to elaborate on the situation.

what am I looking for?

I have changed the vacuum hose between the FPR and the throttle body.

It seemed to improve the issue at first but then the car started to wobble again.

?

cheers