Sign in to follow this  
stewybenson

callipers arnt fitting. why?

alight everyone.

i posed the question recently, "will some 288mm callipers and discs fit on my vr"

i had a few responses saying they would, so i picked up a second hand set off a skoda vrs.

after i painstakingly painted them black, my pet techy was supposed to be fitting them today (along with my konis! :lol: )

trouble is he has just called me and said that they dont fit. He claims he can get them to fit by grinding a bit here and there and adding a few washers.

whats going on here? i had a few people saying they should bolt straight on.

any help/info will be gratefully recieved

stu b

peace

In your post you mentioned a Golf IIRC, which would fit. I'd have thunk that a Skoda would be the same, but you never know.

yeah mee too, i thort they were coming off a golf and assumed they were the same. they have the vw stamp on them (lucas).

is it worth b@stardising them to make them fit?

ah, right i see! :lol:

dunno i am going down now to see whats happening. will check the discs are correct!!!!

cheers man

stu

Erm.... bear in mind peeps that there are several variations of supposedly the same parts for the newer VW/Audi/Skoda et al cars. Skodas may have a completely different offset to the Golf 3, and therefore use different discs and carriers.

The 288s that 100% defo bolt straight onto a Corrado VR6 are Golf 3 Highline and Golf VR6 97-on.

You need the Golf carriers, hoses, calipers, Discs and pads. The correct calipers for this are ATE, the original 280s are Lucas.

You shouldn't need to cut and shut anything to make these fit chap.....

The calipers aren't that specific tho, as the TT 312's use the same calipers (maybe with a different banjo bolt pitch where you attach the hose)

So, thus far the calipers are on ok and some 288 discs off a golf 3 seem to fit correctly.

anyone want a set of octavia discs? :lol:

i take it i will have to take it easy at first to let the pads settle with the discs?

cheers for all the advice people

peace

update::

old callipers dics and pads are back on!!! :(

turns out that although the 288s seemed to fit ok there was far too much pedel travel. perhaps due to the master cylander being old so i had to re-fit the old ones.

these are working fine, although there is still a bit of travel in the pedal before braking starts.

for future reference:::: make sure you know what bits are supposed to go on before you buy cheap second hand bits.

in the long run cheap is expensive and expesive is cheap! cheers for all your help. untill next time...... :D