Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

FK badgeless grill fitting

I've got an FK grill at home but the clips along the bottom do not line up as my car is an early valver. How do i make it fit? Or can i sell it and purchase one that is made for the earlier C's?

I think its just a case of modifying the fk to fit....zip-tie stylee!!! Thats what i've read from previous posts anyway :D

I'd like to know if you can get a new style, 2 or 3 bar grille for an early valver too. Hopefully someone will enlighten us!

Nope not going to happen.

Your going to have to modify the VR grill. Mattig made a G60 badgeless grill...not sure if its the same as a 16v.

The only way your going to get a VR grill to fit right...is to get the VR rad support. :drinking:

FK one you say. I've got a FK one on my 93 VR, no modding required.

Well...its because FK made the grill for the VR6.

i have a VR, and just bought (hopefully, not looking too good so far) an FK grill, i think its come off a g60, now i'm not sure if it'll fit? thought they all the same.

so if you have probs with could swap maybe?

i have a VR, and just bought (hopefully, not looking too good so far) an FK grill, i think its come off a g60, now i'm not sure if it'll fit? thought they all the same.

so if you have probs with could swap maybe?

That sounds like a plan.

The early grills have 2 plastic clips along the bottom, the lates have 3 (why VW did this i have no idea). So my late FK grill dont fit onto my early front end. Stupid thing is i've had the grill for 3-4 months before realising as it just sat in the box on my wardbrobe

I just broke the tabs off and glued them in the right places with some uber strong glue. Worked absolutely fine until the gypo garage I used briefly broke the top ones off and lost them. The bottom's perfect though.

I ended up buying a JOM one anyhow so the FK one is up for grabs if anyone wants it (saves breaking another!) £10 delivered.

It can be done though if you are going to rip the tabs off, just make sure you use araldite or something.

- remove the old bottom tabs

- get 2 'L' shaped brackets (90deg) from B&Q

- spray them black

- using holes provided in the L shaped bracket (or drill new ones), use self tapping screws to fix the brackets into the correct positions for your early slam panel

- put insulating tape around the part of the bracket that sits in the slam panel

costs about £1.50 and works better than gluing.