Sign in to follow this  
corrado vr6

calliper painting

thinkin of painting my callipers this weekend, done a search and see a couple of you have already done this and have decided to go with halfords caliper paint but dont know wether to go with brush paint or from a spray can any suggestions?

also my raddo is red and i was thinkin of goin for yellow callipers, what primer is best to use as this must also me VHT paint to withstand the heat can you get a vht primer or is it straight on with the calliper paint and should it be a coloured primer or just a standard grey primer?

any help much appriciated :D

yip smoothrite can cope easily with the heat.........and is easier/cheaper to apply than the dedicated caliper paint

just been upto halfords and price difference is massive £9.99 for dedicated caliper paint 250ml or £2.79 for hammerite smooth 250 ml hmmmm think ill go for....

Hammerite plus it says just a quick clean up and paint straight on no primer etc as mentioned above. should be a good mod for the weekend cheers for replys fellas

i swear by hammerite smooth,i have used it on every car ive had for about ten years,it lasts for years without needing repainted,"IT DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SEZ ON THE TIN" :lol:

I'd go with the hammerite too. but make sure you eave it at least 24 hours to go off before you fit them, otherwise it's still a bit tacky and you end up with finger prints all over them. :(

Been thinking of doing this myself. My calipers are a bit cruddy though. The dedicated stuff comes with some sort of cleaner. Any alternatives to this? Could I just blast them with a powerhouse?

Do I need to remove the calipers to paint them or will some careful masking do the job?

Cheers in advance for any advice...

when i did mine i just did them in situ.........just used a wire brush to get rid of any crud before applying the paint.........i was lucky in that my mate let me use the 4-poster ramp to do it

managed to get all four callipers done this weekend 3 coats of hammerite smooth yellow and they ve come up a treat heres some piccies

th_Image011-1.jpg

th_Image012.jpg

th_Image015.jpg

th_Image022.jpg

th_Image021.jpg

th_Image025.jpg

th_Image027.jpg

th_Image029.jpg

im well chuffed :D :D :lol: 8) with the result although being yellow took a few coats to get good coverage without any runs, as you can see i did mine in situ using a steady hand and sum masking tape.

i used a wire wheel drill attachment which really made light work of cleaning them up goin careful of the hoses then used sum pre-paint de-greaser to clean them masked them up few coats and painted callipers and only cost a fiver.

a tip i found when painting though paint from the front to the back as the brush tends to pick up the crud from the back that you just cant get to and you end up transfering it to the front which dont look to good!!