Sign in to follow this  
Kaktus

Took the Rado for a drive. Got a small Problem :(

Hi Guys.

Me again. I took the Rado for her 1st drive this weekend after she broke down about 2 months ago. Anyway, i noticed that she's running quit alot warmer than she usually did. She used to run about 90degrees water and 100-110 degrees oil. Now she's up to 105dgerees water and 120 degress oil I'm going to check for air locks in the system toinight. What's the best way to do so? And also what else can cause this?

The only thing thing worth mentioning that i changed related to coolant is the mixture. I used 4litres of the G12 Plus. Where i normally only used to use 3litres.

Got a few questions.

1. At what temperature should the fan kick in on the 16v's??

2. What sensors can i check? There are quite a few on the side of the head. (gearbox side) The fan def. kicks in but only over 92 degrees.

3. The fan is a 2 speed but i don't think i ever saw it running on the second speed. What sensor will trigger the second speed?

4. The coolant cap is still the old black type, is it worth getting a new blue one? They are cheap, so i might aswell just get one in any case.

5. What else might cause this?

Ta guys

Hugo

Hi Guys.

Me again. I took the Rado for her 1st drive this weekend after she broke down about 2 months ago. Anyway, i noticed that she's running quit alot warmer than she usually did. She used to run about 90degrees water and 100-110 degrees oil. Now she's up to 105dgerees water and 120 degress oil I'm going to check for air locks in the system toinight. What's the best way to do so? And also what else can cause this?

The only thing thing worth mentioning that i changed related to coolant is the mixture. I used 4litres of the G12 Plus. Where i normally only used to use 3litres.

Got a few questions.

1. At what temperature should the fan kick in on the 16v's??

2. What sensors can i check? There are quite a few on the side of the head. (gearbox side) The fan def. kicks in but only over 92 degrees.

3. The fan is a 2 speed but i don't think i ever saw it running on the second speed. What sensor will trigger the second speed?

4. The coolant cap is still the old black type, is it worth getting a new blue one? They are cheap, so i might aswell just get one in any case.

5. What else might cause this?

Ta guys

Hugo

Can I just say.....thats a bloody nice colour on that corrado!! yum yum!

I'd say that your coolant concentration is definately too high. I would use around 50% G12+ max.

What's happening to your top and bottom rad hoses? If the bottom one stays cool, even after the car's been running for a while, the stat is shot. Give the car a good run, pop the bonnet and make sure both hoses are hot.

Not too sure about the fans I'm afraid- someone else should know though ;)

The fan speeds are controlled by the thermostatic switch mounted on the rad, on the side facing the engine, nearest the passenger side wing.

I changed that on mine, (29mm ring or deep socket) and noticed a good decrease in coolant temps.

The oil seems hot too (mine rarely gets above 90c) but unsure what could cause this....

HTH...

Are you just running G12+ on its own without any water added??

Nope I'm running 4L G12 + and the rest is water. I'm not sure how much water it is, but i'm sure it's more than enuff...

Can I just say.....thats a bloody nice colour on that corrado!! yum yum!

Thanks Mate. Yeh the clour is nice but i would like to get it resprayed again in the near future. The colour got a little too much glitter in. Will have to see what happens.... :D

I'd say that your coolant concentration is definately too high. I would use around 50% G12+ max.

What's happening to your top and bottom rad hoses? If the bottom one stays cool, even after the car's been running for a while, the stat is shot. Give the car a good run, pop the bonnet and make sure both hoses are hot.

Not too sure about the fans I'm afraid- someone else should know though

Hi Mate. The top hose is hot untill around 80-85 degrees before the bottom one starts warming up. I must add that the bottom one never gets as hot as the top one though. Top one reaches absolute boiling point while the bottom one feels about 10-15 degrees cooler.

The fan speeds are controlled by the thermostatic switch mounted on the rad, on the side facing the engine, nearest the passenger side wing.

I changed that on mine, (29mm ring or deep socket) and noticed a good decrease in coolant temps.

The oil seems hot too (mine rarely gets above 90c) but unsure what could cause this....

HTH...

Thanks Mate i'll check that aswell.

I checked for air locks last night, but didn't find any.

Btw, i ordered a blue coolant cap, as i still have the old black type. I also ordered a thermostat, might aswell put it in aswell. Since they are so cheap. :lol:

Nope I'm running 4L G12 + and the rest is water.

Yikes.. I think thats way too much! My cooling system I used 2x 1 litre bottles of G12+ and the rest was water! I think you've got too much coolant in there!

Thanks Mate.

I'll try and add more water when i change the thermostat during the week or the coming weekend... It's quite funny actually cause the mechanics at VW old me to put in 4L. Oh well, it's not the first time they talked crap. :lol: