Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Best low profile trolley jack...?

So after swearing numerous times at trolley jacks that don't quite fit under the car I've decided to get a trolley jack of me own that will actually fit.

I know you can use the scissor jack to raise it up first, but it scares the hell out of me using that, and I know you can also park the car on some bits of wood, but again - can't be bothered.

Similarly, the £20 jobs from Halfords are cack (tried one at the weekend and it was useless) so want one that will actually raise the car when you pump the lever (ooh err) rather than just wobble about.

I had a look in the Machine Mart catalogue and they have a very sexy looking low-profile, rubber footed ally one by Clarke that would be ideal...buuuut it's £93!

Anybody else got suggestions for a decent low-profile trolley jack that doesn't cost the earth?

Id be interested in knowing about this as my jack isnt proving to be much used since the car has been lowered, i have a halfords one which has served me well for 10 years so i cant grumble..

A mate of mine has a Skyline that is low it rubs on yellow lines and he has something that goes under it, ill ask him and report back..

That'd be useful - my main issue is I'm not sure where to get them from. I might have a search online, but here's a link to the sexy ally Clarke one on the Machine Mart website.

Try people like snap on dealers or local agricultural dealers/equipment suppliers.

For anyone in Hampshire APM in Kings Sombourne are very good for kit, but aren't open on Saturdays.

Dom - the halfords one's are fine, I just replaced my 10 year old one with a new one (not that there was anything wrong with it)

How low is your car???

If not the halfords one I would go for the alloy MM one mate - cheaper than any other i've seen of that type...

The Halfords one was pants cos the handle seemed to slop about a lot before actually doing anything - not ideal when you've only got a few cm of movement.

Either way, the Halfords ones are about 3cm too high to fit under anywhere sturdy enough to jack on at the front of the car.

That one in the US is considerably cheaper than anything I've seen here (£40+ tax, shipping), but they are still 11kg, so would need a big group buy to warrant shipping them over. Hmmm... lots of hassle...

Hmm, on closer inspection that Torin one is exactly the same as the Clarke one... but with over double the price tag!

Dom - I assume you had the screw in on the Halfords one??? :D

The 2 tonne one is now rounded so not so great for low cars but the 2.5 is fine for you...

Dom - I assume you had the screw in on the Halfords one??? :D

The 2 tonne one is now rounded so not so great for low cars but the 2.5 is fine for you...

Yeah, it was screwed in :roll: :p

I just ordered that one from Northern Tool which may just happen to turn up in the UK with a box of other parts from the USA ;)

I can get a 3 tonne trolley Jack that has a 83mm low lift clearance. £70 each plus delivery

I just ordered that one from Northern Tool which may just happen to turn up in the UK with a box of other parts from the USA ;)

Thought I recognised 'Northern Tool Co'...... my other half turned up last week with 'a catalogue I might like'....

Looks like Northern Tool is in the UK too.

And your jack is in the catalogue - priced at £117.49inc VAT.

how much was postage from the US?

http://www.northerntooluk.com/products. ... no=144440E

Yeah, it's criminal how much they're charging for exactly the same jack over here!

The tag lines on the UK website are funny tho - they change with every page load :lol:

Well I was actually talking to one of the guys from work who'se based in NY today and he mentioned that he was going to be sending a load of parts back to the UK... so I had a brainwave and asked if I could get the jack delivered to him... so it might accidentally get dropped in the box and end up here :lol:

So if all goes to plan - I'll have paid $85 for a low-profile, aluminium trolley jack! 8)