Sign in to follow this  
allstaruk

Removing the Head on a 16v

I have done a search and can't find anything so here goes.

As no one seems to be able to point me to a manul for the corrado 2l 16v or what other car the engine is in (apparently its an audi but god knows which one) I am gonna have to to a lot of guess work to take the head off.

Has any one got any advice, what order everyhting comes off, where to shut off the fuel lines, what gaskets need replacing etc.

al

well your going to need head gasket,inlet manifold gasket,exhaust gasket,and a rocker cover gasket,and new head bolts,i would imagine that the 16v golf manual would be fine to use as they are basically the same engines

Ok cool that should narrow down what I am looking for does that mean that I need a 2l 16 MK3 golf manual to get the engine as close as possibe.

mk2 1.8 16v golf manual if there is one, the 9A engine is more or less the same, just larger capacity and a slightly different management system.

what you want is the passat haynes manual May 1988 to 1991 No. 1647 (purple cover) (poss. out of print now)

This covers KR and 9A engines, although is a bit sketchy with diagrams on the 16v cars, useful as the passat seems to have more in common with the corrado than the golf 2.

David.

How similar are the engines though, or how do I find out what audi it was in so I can get that manual.

Excelent, I am on to the next problem now, I have compression tested in now and it doesn't seem to be the problem that I initially thought that it was.

The car seems to have a lack of power, until 3.5 to 4k in the rev range where it suddenly starts to pull, now this lead me to thing that it was a valve but I have compression tested all the cylinders and they come up at 170psi except the 4th one which is about 15psi down, I don't belive that that is enough to create this problem. I really am at a loss at the moment and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

is the car new to you? they can feel a bit flat low down in the rev range!

is the water and oil ok..any mayonaise in either? does it use water

The car is not mine, I drive a calibra and am about to get a maxda rx-7 (sorry guys) the car belongs to my best mate.

Anyway it seems a bit low in the vrev range but I am sure it should better than it is, even the owner nopticed a lack of power.

> is the water and oil ok..any mayonaise in either? does it use water

No, the heads not porus if thats what your thinking.

Al