Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Whinning noise gets louder when i rev eninge..

i have a ground loop problem that it whines and when i rev the engine the whinning sound gets louder. i have changed my Groud point 3 times and its still there.

It happening when i plug in the REAR RCA cables for the REAR of my 4 channel amp. when i turn the gain right down it disapears and also when i unplug the rear RCA's it disapears too.

The RCA's ar NOT running the same way as my power cable.

I have also disconnected the earth for the headunit from car loom and earthed it at same points the amps are, its still there.

can anyone help?

thanks,

Neil

Are the front speakers running through the same amp too and are they ok?

If so, have you tried switching cables over and seeing if the nosie follows the output on the head unit or the input on the amp?

If not, it's useful to try an mp3 player or similar with an RCA lead hanging out of it - turn the volume right down on it first, plug it in, turn the ignition on and then play something at low volume and see if you get hum.

If you don't, then try it again connecting it to the long cables you've got running through the car (would also need some RCA barrel connetors to plug it all together)

If that works, then it's most definitely your head unit. Have you got a 3 year old or so Pioneer head unit? There's a known issue with them (mine being one of them) that means the bugger whines like hell even though everything's earthed properly because the head unit isn't properly earthed inside.